• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can you tell...

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:03 PM
  • 12 Replies

the difference between really watery discharge and a small leak in you water? I've been having pretty irritating cramping all day and have been leaking from that area but not like when my water broke with my DS. Just trickles and it doesn't smell like urine. I've also had *TMI ALERT* diarrhea for the last 3 days. I read somewhere that preterm labor can be accompanied by diarrhea sometimes? I'm worried because I don't know how my body is gonna do labor this time as opposed to last time. I've also been feeling really sick to my stomach every time I eat and a mega headache.

Click Here September 2010 Babies Mod

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Holly4Jean4
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:16 PM

call your dr or midwife!

TotallyWarped
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM
I've also had really bad cramping in my legs and back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soon2bemama2008
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM
I'd go to the hospital to get checked
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnitaVersion2.0
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM

It's very common for the fluid to just trickle out (baby's head partially blocking it)

maybebaby83
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:20 PM

bump!

doulala
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:22 PM

It could be either.      In time labor will be sorted out and baby will arrive!

;-)

If you are leaking amniotic fluid, you might see if you lie down for several minutes then stand up with a gush.    The fluid can slip past the head-cork.    Sometimes you can sit on the toilet and push, it can keep coming.

I was leaking pretty heavily for a while with my first baby.   PROM happens.

;-)

TotallyWarped
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:26 PM
PROM?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Premature rupture of membranes.

Water breaking with no labor (contractions).

TotallyWarped
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:36 PM
Isn't that dangerous? Wouldn't they just let you have the baby if your water was broken?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:56 PM
Quoting TotallyWarped:

Isn't that dangerous? Wouldn't they just let you have the baby if your water was broken?

It is not usually dangerous.    If you're contracting (in labor) of course you may have the baby.    If not in labor, then interventions can be weighed for risk.  

PROM happens with about 10% of pregnancies, so a variation of normal.

Because medical-model practitioners tend to investigate internally, the risk for infection can increase.    But if mom & baby are healthy, fine, normal, there is no reason to intervene.

A rare occasion will indicate a complication like an infection can be the cause of PROM.    If baby is not engaged/at-term/vertex, there can be concerns.  

Water is completely replaced every few hours. 
Nothing inside means no introduction of bacteria.    (It doesn't swim upstream without help.)

Knowing how to watch out is wise.    But unnecessarily intervening will add unnecessary risk.    Moms can get the full info and weigh their situation.

I waited over a week with a heavy rupture.   My water birth was so beautiful, I am glad I was informed and supported.    I know of many women that will induce and sometimes have a cesarean (failed induction) because their body wasn't ready to deliver yet.    Nothing was wrong, just their water broke.    I encourage moms to avoid that route if they don't need to, obviously!

Like with so many things regarding maternity care, it seems that our risks increase/decrease depending on who we hire for our care.

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)