Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok medicines???

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:04 PM
  • 5 Replies
I have an appt with a dr with wednesday, I'm only 11 weeks but I'm already suffering from horrific insomnia and crippling back pain at night that makes me unable to sleep. Tylenol pm does not help very much. :( I read online some doctors prescribe ambien for insomnia and vicodin for pain during pregnancy...now I don't wanna take both!!! I just wanna know if anybody takes either and what did your doctor say are the risks? I honestly feel bad almost even asking but I'm going to work exhausted and vomiting because my body is soooooooooo tired and I know that's not good for my baby either so I could use advice. Thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MikeysMom51108
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Sorry, I'm no help. I wish my doctor would have given me something to help me sleep. But, she just told me it's a normal part of pregnancy, and basically, I had to deal with it!

Good luck.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

LonnaG
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:08 PM
I googled it and I had a bunch of things pop up on yahoo answers and stuff about pregnant women taking ambien and then when I searched pain it said vicodin and percocet! I was like reeeeally? It said the painkillers weren't recommended in third trimester to take often because your baby can be born addicted if you take them often but I could use relief now. Sigh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweet_Holly
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:17 PM

with My DS whom I had in 2006.. I took ambien & thats it to help sleep. It was wonderful & worked great. I felt so rested the next the day.

With this pregnancy I'm 29wks 2 days atm.. prior to being Preggo for My Injury I was on almost 2 yrs oxycontin , morphine pills, vicodin 750s every 4 hrs, neurontin 600mgs & robaxin 750mgs.. I could not take all of those being Preggo.. so OB knowing that what they kept Me on during My whole pregnancy so far is Vicodin 500mg 2x's a day and flexeril 10mgs 3 x's a day..

My OB says its completely safe for Me to take what I'm taking now for My Injury as long as its out of My system 2 wks before delivery.. worst case scenario I go into labor early it has to be out at least 48hrs so it doesn't cause the baby to go through withdrawals.. cause vicodin taken day of delivery can cause the baby to be born with shallow breathing and go through a wk of withdrawals.. so we will cut it off then.

Now most OB's will not rx vicodin for sleep.. just bc it is habit forming.. or you must have an mri & emg proof of an injury (like I have from auto accident) to be on it for most of the pregnancy. Ambien is not as habit forming & they do tend to rx that for lack of sleep:)

GL hope you can sleep soon.

http://www.facebook.com/lovely.holly

❤♥RawR أنا جميل RawR♥❤

LonnaG
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:26 PM
Thanks, yeah either would work for me probably. I already have a bad back, I'm a 38 DDD (well I was my breasts have already gotten larger) so my back most days is making me cry now, its awful, my SO rubs my back but it doesn't matter but if I took the ambien and I was tired enough I'd suffer the pain so whatever they suggest ill do.

Quoting Sweet_Holly:

with My DS whom I had in 2006.. I took ambien & thats it to help sleep. It was wonderful & worked great. I felt so rested the next the day.

With this pregnancy I'm 29wks 2 days atm.. prior to being Preggo for My Injury I was on almost 2 yrs oxycontin , morphine pills, vicodin 750s every 4 hrs, neurontin 600mgs & robaxin 750mgs.. I could not take all of those being Preggo.. so OB knowing that what they kept Me on during My whole pregnancy so far is Vicodin 500mg 2x's a day and flexeril 10mgs 3 x's a day..

My OB says its completely safe for Me to take what I'm taking now for My Injury as long as its out of My system 2 wks before delivery.. worst case scenario I go into labor early it has to be out at least 48hrs so it doesn't cause the baby to go through withdrawals.. cause vicodin taken day of delivery can cause the baby to be born with shallow breathing and go through a wk of withdrawals.. so we will cut it off then.

Now most OB's will not rx vicodin for sleep.. just bc it is habit forming.. or you must have an mri & emg proof of an injury (like I have from auto accident) to be on it for most of the pregnancy. Ambien is not as habit forming & they do tend to rx that for lack of sleep:)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweet_Holly
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:33 PM

yea ambien is wonderful.. actually when I took it at night when preggo with DS it knocked me out so well I didn't experience the normal preggo pains at night that keep mama's awake LOL.

I think they will prob give you a low dose rx of it to try 1st 5mg.. if it doesn't work they will prob go with 10mgs.. but 5 mg's worked fine for me.. & I didn't have that yucky hang over feeling like some meds give ya the next day.

I hope you get to sleep soon. (((HuGs))) IK how it is completely & its awful. If I wasn't on my meds I'd cry tbh.

In the meantime until weds take a luke warm bath.. after wards you can wrap a heating pad in a towel & set it to low so its not so strong & use that for 15 mins to relax muscles. Also if ES Tylenol does work on my lists of ok meds from ob to take says 1-2 tabs every 6 hrs is fine. Also if benedryl makes you sleepy, try that at night.. it worked for My sil :) she was able to sleep until her appt. 

Quoting LonnaG:

Thanks, yeah either would work for me probably. I already have a bad back, I'm a 38 DDD (well I was my breasts have already gotten larger) so my back most days is making me cry now, its awful, my SO rubs my back but it doesn't matter but if I took the ambien and I was tired enough I'd suffer the pain so whatever they suggest ill do.

Quoting Sweet_Holly:

http://www.facebook.com/lovely.holly

❤♥RawR أنا جميل RawR♥❤

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)