Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

did the membrane sweep work for you

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:50 AM
  • 11 Replies
so my doctor is ready for my baby to come out but I refuse to be induced and I really don't want my water to be broken by them so today she swept my membranes.

did this work for any of you? if so, how long after it was done did labor start?
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jridgill
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I've never had it done but here is a bump for you :)

doulala
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Why is your doctor ready?

If you don't want to be induced you don't have to compromise, add risks, be uncomfortable, etc--     your call, mama!

No stripping for me, but it can take a few hours-day or so.  

ashleywagoner
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:59 AM

My doc did that to me yesterday, so hoping it works soon!

CafeMom Tickers
victoriaherring
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:36 AM
she thinks my baby is getting too big. I'm not going to let them induce me or anything with that excuse but quite frankly I'm ready for the baby to be out too and I didn't think that stripping the membranes could hurt anything so I let her..

I hate how they throw around all the medical procedures like they are just normal though.. whatever happened to a woman just going into labor and having a baby without all the extra help.. I understand some people need it but they made it seem like if I asked to be induced today they would have done it.

Quoting doulala:

If you don't want to be induced you don't have to compromise, add risks, be uncomfortable, etc--     your call, mama!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BoosMommy12
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:38 AM
Nope didn't work still needed to be induced
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 2:16 PM

I had it done with both of my pregnancies at 40 weeks. It didn't work either time.

mommyiverson22
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 2:17 PM
Had mine done at 38 wks...24 hrs later my water broke :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Yeah, they pulled that with me too.  At 38 weeks they said my son was in the high 8 lb range and would be born at 10+ lbs if he went to his due date.  They started stripping then. 

Jason was born at 41 weeks and 7 lbs.

They stripped with my daughter too at 40 weeks.  She was born at 42 weeks 1 day.

Quoting victoriaherring:

she thinks my baby is getting too big. I'm not going to let them induce me or anything with that excuse but quite frankly I'm ready for the baby to be out too and I didn't think that stripping the membranes could hurt anything so I let her..

I hate how they throw around all the medical procedures like they are just normal though.. whatever happened to a woman just going into labor and having a baby without all the extra help.. I understand some people need it but they made it seem like if I asked to be induced today they would have done it.

Quoting doulala:

Mommy to my angel baby (miscarried 6/21/06 at 10 weeks), Jason Josiah (born 6/6/07) who is always pushing to be the best he can be, and my VBAC baby who tested my patience to no end by being 15 days late Delaney Abygail Grace (born 4/19/10)

MommaBoop922
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 2:22 PM
Thanks for posting this I was wondering the same thing about membrane stripping these last few days so Ill be interested to see women's input...
LMAKINEN1
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Had mine done yesterday 39 weeks and so far only lost more mucus plug and a couple contractions yesterday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)