Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Right or Wrong?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:50 AM
  • 3 Replies

Review of Preschool Sex Education Picture Books

How to Use Picture Books to Talk About Sex With Preschool Children

Dec 10, 2009 Lisl Fair

Use Picture Books to Talk About the Facts of Life - Theunis Bekker
Use Picture Books to Talk About the Facts of Life - Theunis Bekker
Young children relate well to stories and simple illustrations. Using picture books to talk to preschoolers about sex can help parents approach this sensitive subject.

Telling young children about sex can be a daunting task for parents. Young children think concretely and may need a graphic depiction of what reproduction is all about. Furthermore, using a story to talk about sex may make it more comfortable for parents to talk about this sensitive subject. For these reasons. using picture books as a resource for sex education can help both the child and parent to make this talk an enriching experience.

Deborah Roffman, author of But how Did I Get in There in the First Place? Talking to Your Young Child About Sex (2002, Perseus Publishing), says that even though every child develops at his or her own pace, questions about sexuality usually follow his or her stage of intellectual development. Specific picture books are available to use with children in specific age groups and can assist parents to communicate on the appropriate level.

The following picture books can be helpful in communicating with a child about private body parts, reproduction and sex.

Read more at Suite101: Review of Preschool Sex Education Picture Books: How to Use Picture Books to Talk About Sex With Preschool Children http://earlychildhood.suite101.com/article.cfm/review_of_preschool_sex_education_picture_books#ixzz0yCeAYB5v

do you think this is right or wrong? telling preschool children about sex?

Lilypie Maternity tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
prego7386
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:55 AM

if they ask then i don't see the problem.

super_mom_5
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:59 AM
i think that is way too young to teach a child about something so adult like. At that age they mimic what they see and watch. Thats not something i want my kids "playing" with other kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicaaris
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I can't imagine why a preschooler would ever ask about sex. About where babies come from, yes, but not sex. And I think there is a tactful way to talk about where babies come from. I don't really think it is appropriate to talk to a preschooler about sex, especially in a preschool setting.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)