Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Anyone Having a Repeat C Section

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:21 PM
  • 5 Replies

Just wanted to share my story.  My first cs was unscheduled, after 23 hours of non progressing labor.  I had an epi in already so the actual surgery was partly uncomfortable...I could feel things while they were putting me back together.  The recovery was difficult.....in pain for 10 days, not able to walk around easily, not being able to change those first diapers.  I was totally dreading the recovery this time around, especially having a toddler to chase as well as a newborn to care for.  

I went for the scheduled repeat cs after discussion with all the doctors in my practice.  I wasn't happy that they didn't feel I have a successful vbac but to me, it was better than another unscheduled cs after a failed vbac.  I waited til 3 days before my due date, hoping something would happen on it's own.  It didn't.  So the 16th comes and we get to the hospital.  Everything moves quickly and next thing I know I'm in the OR getting my spinal.  I felt nothing but a little pressure in my chest during.  Unlike my first cs, dd was brought to me in the recovery room, where I immediately breastfed.  The second day after the cath was removed I got up and walked.  Before I left the hospital I needed no help getting out of bed.  Once home, I managed the stairs just fine.  I only had to take pain meds for a few days.  This was a completely different experience!  I felt great!  It's been just over 2 weeks.  I've been doing laundry, doing the floors, scrubbing the shower.  The worst part of this cs literally was the tape being removed from where my IV was and the bandage and tape coming off over my incision (I lost skin and hair...ouch!).  The cath coming out was painful for a split second too.

My point is to give some hope to those in my situation, who either don't have a choice or for whatever reason choose a cs.  I was so dreading it and it couldn't have gone better!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JobyDay
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Thanks for sharing. I'm delivering my first via c-section due to complications. I am nervous about recovery and appreciate your experience.

rebecca_bullard
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:34 PM

My 1st was unscheduled after 18 hours of labor. And yeah, I know what you mean about a horrible experience. Ive always joked that when they go to take the baby out, they tell you youll feel some pressure. BS!!! It HURTS! At least it did THAT time!

My 2nd was schedule and so much easier and nicer and NOT painful. Thank god. My 1st was only 14 months old.

On Oct. 1st (31 days) I will be having my 3rd....and 2nd scheduled c-section. I hope it goes as nicely as the 1st.

BoosMommy12
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:40 PM

thank you so much for sharing! My first csection sounds just like yours it was horrible I also could feel them putting me back togather and the recovery was long and painfull. I am so nervese of getting a repeat csection. Thank you for easing my mind at leat just a little bit.

AdamsWife0901
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:47 PM

My first was an emergency cs, I was put under so I didnt feel anything but the recovery was horrible, very painful.  Im due in January and Ive already been told that I must have a cs and Ive been thinking that it's going to be a horrible experience like the first but that kinda made me better and not so worried but everybodys different but i hope that Im not in extreme pain afterwards.

BabyFetus Ticker

SoLuckysAngel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Thank you so much for posting this. As much bad as we all hear. It's nice to hear some good. :) I'll be having a scheduled c-section in Feb, after being in labor for 50 hours to have an emergency c-section in March 2007.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)