Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ITS MY BABYS FIRST BIRTHDAY!!!! id like to share his first year and what he has been through to get to today!!! * might be upseting for some*PIOG!!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:17 PM
  • 76 Replies

My baby was diagnosed with a congenatal heart defect while i was 31 weeks pregnant. It was my 22nd birthday.. They told me he would have to be born at a  hospital 400 miles away from home and have open heart surgery shortly after birth..

This is Gunner at 2 days old.. when he was without scars and when i still didnt believe my baby could really be as sick as they said he was.. He looked absolutly perfect to me!!

This is about 4  days later.. after the first open heart surgery. I didnt take any right after surgery due to them leaving his chest open for the swelling in hes heart to go down.. I dont think i need pictures to remember that part.

Gunner did amazing recovering from the first surgery.. They told us he would be in the hospital for 4 to 6 weeks..

At 2 weeks old he was released to go home.. Just 1 1/2 weeks after open heart surgery!! This was just a few days before we left the hospital.

Gunner at 2 months old and doing very good!!!!

At 2 and a half  months old Gunner developed a cough that would not go away.. I took him to doctor after doctor and they all said the same thing.. He has a cold but is on the uphill and will be better soon.. Well he never got better.. When he cardiology appt came up i took him and told his doctor about the cough.. His cardiologist seemed worried and went and checked his chest x ray. She came back in with the fear of god on her face and told me she had called up to the childrens hospital and scheduled a hearth cath procedure.. I was very confused.. She told me to get right to the hospital. Knowing the hospital is 400 miles away i went home and told my husband they needed to run a test on his and we would be back in a few days.. My husband had a feeling he needed to come with me so he took work off and headed up with me... We got to the hospital and checked him in and they took him into surgery. the wait was horrible knowing we had no clue what they even suspected was wrong... Well when they came out they put me and my husband in a room and sat down with us and broke the news.. Our little baby was heading back into open heart surgery.. He had developed an aneruism. It was so heart breaking. They had sent him to the Cardiac ICU. and they let us go sit with him until they took him back into surgery. From the time he left out arms to go and do the heart cath to the time we seen him in the CICU he was completly lifeless and very scary looking.. He was even making the doctors nervous..

example this was Gunner the day before we went to the hospital

And this was my gunner the next day..

Gunner didnt do so good the second time around. He struggled very hard for his life.. He coded 4 times and had to be reintubated in a two week period.. He just couldnt breathe on his own. They started talking about a heart transplant  or another open heart surgery that he would have a 4 % chance of living threw.. at this point we were devastated and there were no good options..

It was the hardest thing watching my baby not know what was going to happen.. They told us we needed to just go home and go back to our normal lives and leave our baby at the hospital.. that was not an option for us..

After 2 weeks of not knowing and praying and hoping that a miracle would happen it finally did.. They took Gunner back to run a test to see what his diaphram was doing when he breathed on his own. Come to find out his right diaphram had been paralized in his last surgery. He was back in surgery to have it fixed and wam Gunner was doing great!!! I cant even expain how it felt to know he was going to get better and come home with us..

I was so happy he was breathing on his own!!!!

Gunner at 6 months old and doing GREAT!!!

Gunner at 10 months old!!

Gunner at his birthday party on saturday!!

Gunner will sadly need a few more open heart surgeries in the future! But he is dong so awsome right now that it will be atleast a year before his next one!!! YAY GUNNER!!
HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY!!! I am so happy that you are here to celebrate this day!! YOu are such a strong boy!! WE LOVE YOU!!!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kristinmomof2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Aww...this brought tears to my eyes. Such a strong boy. I pray for him to continue being healthy :)

lilmissmommy558
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:25 PM

OH WOW!! That made me cry, Happy Birthday Little Man :-) and Good luck to you and him both in the future he's a beautiful little boy :)

c.p.c.k
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:26 PM

birthday sweetpea to a strong little man, glad he is doing so well after all he has been through xxx 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
TotallyWarped
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:26 PM
I can't imagine it. You have been thru so much. Praying for continued health. Happy birthday Gunner!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arnamentia
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Happy Birthday! So glad he's doing so well <3

valrubio
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I'm so happy he is doing good and I hope he continues doing well. I know exactly how you felt going through that because I have a daughter who is about to turn 2 and she was born with congenital heart defects that required open heart surgery two weeks after her birth. It was the hardest thing we ever had to go through but when they make it through you really appreciate everyday with them more.

Katiecabooble

What a strong little man and a strong mama!  Best of luck in the future to you and your family!  Happy 1st birthday, Gunner!

CafeMom Tickers
kenziesmom04

awww yay!!!

aubreyluv
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Thank you everyone!!!

sexymama8a
by Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:31 PM

that was so touching im so happy for you guys that your little boy is doing great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)