Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40 weeks on thursday, now what!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:29 PM
  • 9 Replies

i will be 40 weeks on thursday, im still not dialted or efaced. my doctor wants to get an ultrasound done next week to check for amniotic fluid. is this normal?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
palemoon21
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Estimated Due Dates can be up to 2 weeks off......

preggos2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:43 PM

yup, unfortunately completely normal....

i was never dialated or efaced....at 41 weeks, i dialate in like 10 minutes for 4 cms, it was sooo painful, some people slowly dialate over the course of weeks and feel no pain at 4 cms and no labor that dialated.

they thought my amniotic fluid was low and sent me for a check at the hospital and it was fine, i went 8 days late...

i send prayers to you going into labor asap! :)

whiteroses82
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Yes.  The average first time mom delivers at 41 weeks and 3 days, if left alone.  If that's normal, you'd THINK they'd consider that your due date, but noooooo.  Also, I was not dialated and effaced on a Friday.  On Sunday, I had one contraction, said screw it, and went home.  Ended up having to pull over on the 4 mile drive, and had a baby less than 4 hours later.  So, it's normal to do all your dialating and effacing during birth, too!

Remeber, it's an esitmated due date, NOT an expiration date!

truealaskanmom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I would refuse the US for fluid because you are supposed to be lower now so your uterus can effectively contract and grip baby during labor.  

doulala
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Not normal.

It's normal to gestate until baby is ready to be born...    somewhere around the due date give or take a couple weeks.

Are you having a normal, healthy pregnancy?   If there is no reason to intervene (including and especially cervix checking and ultrasounds) I would certainly avoid them.   
 :-)

Congrats, you are almost to the mid-point of the average estimated gestational period (38-42 weeks) for non-firsttime moms--   later if you're a 1st-timer.

KalistahM4
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:04 PM

yea its normal! with my daughter charlotte I didnt dialate or was effaced till 42 weeks and 5 days the doctor was going to induce me if i wasnt dialated.. luckily for me..i was 5 cm dialated by the time i got to the doctors office and 3hrs later my little girl was born!!

Sunshine_246
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:10 PM
Exactly, it's not an expiration date and with a normal pregnancy there is no need to get worried. I have a cousin who was induced for "low amniotic fluid" from an u/s and was all worried but after the fact they said she would have been fine to wait. Don't stress.
lovebugs_mom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:13 PM

I was maybe 1cm the day before my due date. My water broke the evening of my due date and he was born the next day. It can happen very fast. People kept telling me and now I believe it lol.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
maybebaby83
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Im 40 weeks thursday also!!

Im only dilated to a one so dont feel bad!! I am effacing though... My appointment is tomorrow.. not sure what they are going to do to me :(

Good luck to you due date buddy!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)