Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: Can anyone recommend a good dog clippers?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:48 PM
  • 10 Replies

I usually take our cocker in to get groomed but unless I take her in every 6 weeks she gets so hairy and then tends to get more stinky in between baths.  It's kind of expensive spending $30-$45 + tax and tip each time to have it done.  With the new baby coming and 2 others kiddos at home and me being a SAHM I'm wondering if it would be possible to save some money in the long run and just buy a nicer clippers?  I've tried using regular clippers for human hair from Walmart and it's just impossible to get her hair all cut.  It's like the clippers can't handle all the hair and it takes forever going over and over and over the same spot to get the hair cut.  So I'm wondering, can someone recommend some good dog clippers that will work on thick corse hair that aren't too expensive?  Thanks!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shellie830
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:53 PM

We just use a pair of Conair ones they only cost us like $10, we have a wiener dog, terrier, chihuahua mix who has crazy hair!

BlessedMommyNE
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Yeah the Conair ones can't handle her hair.  Cockers can have some very thick hair!  LOL!

Quoting shellie830:

We just use a pair of Conair ones they only cost us like $10, we have a wiener dog, terrier, chihuahua mix who has crazy hair!

shellie830
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Quoting BlessedMommyNE:

Yeah the Conair ones can't handle her hair.  Cockers can have some very thick hair!  LOL!

Quoting shellie830:

Darn it! Could you call your local petsmart and ask them which they would recommend? Good luck I hate shaving our dog I make DH do it they are usually out there a couple hours! LOL

CafeMom Tickers
PoodleMum
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:26 AM

I have the Oster Golden A5 clippers and they've lasted a very long time.  A lady had them for her mini schnauzer and then I used them on my poodles for years.  Any detachable clipper blades will work on them, you don't have to use Oster ones.  I reccomend using ceramic blades because they don't get as hot as regular stainless steel.  Be careful you don't clip her too close with hot blades or you'll burn her obviously.  Wahl also makes good clippers, I don't know which one would be cheaper.  Either option would be much cheaper than getting her clipped at the groomers though!  I've clipped dogs since I was 11 years old and did my own show clips for showing in high school, so if you need any advice or help, just ask :)

PoodleMum
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 4:48 PM

BUMP!

BlessedMommyNE
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Thank you!  I think I remember seeing both the Oster and Wahl when I was looking at Walmart.  The most expensive one was like $45 which isn't bad.  Do the ceramic blades normally come with them and would the ones that Walmart sell work well as long as they are that brand do you think? 

Quoting PoodleMum:

I have the Oster Golden A5 clippers and they've lasted a very long time.  A lady had them for her mini schnauzer and then I used them on my poodles for years.  Any detachable clipper blades will work on them, you don't have to use Oster ones.  I reccomend using ceramic blades because they don't get as hot as regular stainless steel.  Be careful you don't clip her too close with hot blades or you'll burn her obviously.  Wahl also makes good clippers, I don't know which one would be cheaper.  Either option would be much cheaper than getting her clipped at the groomers though!  I've clipped dogs since I was 11 years old and did my own show clips for showing in high school, so if you need any advice or help, just ask :)

BlessedMommyNE
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Our closest Petsmart is 2 1/2 hours away.  :(

Quoting shellie830:

Quoting BlessedMommyNE:

Quoting shellie830:

Darn it! Could you call your local petsmart and ask them which they would recommend? Good luck I hate shaving our dog I make DH do it they are usually out there a couple hours! LOL

PoodleMum
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 11:46 PM

I had to buy the ceramic ones separately, but they're not too expensive and last longer anyway.  The blades that come with the actual clippers will be fine, but if you're clipping your dog a lot and it's really thick or coarse hair you will dull the blades faster on them.  I know you can get them sharpened, but it was just cheaper to buy new ones honestly lol.  I'm sure the ones at Walmart will work or If you do a lot of ordering online, PetEdge has REALLY good prices and a wide variety of products that will make grooming easier like cleaning products and brushes.  They also have a chart in their catalog that tell you what blade number you'll need.  I used a #4F for a pet clip on my poodles and goat which is 3/8 in length.  The F just means it's a full toothed blade which gives it a smoother finish, but you only use it after clipping it down first because it has to be VERY clean untangled hair.  The 3-3/4 blade gives you a half in length and the longest is the 5/8HT blade with is a 5/8 in length.  Any longer and you'd have to just scissor it.  Have you ever clipped a dog before?  If not, don't worry you'll be fine :)  A few tips just in case: Always make sure the coat has been thoroughly brushed out and freshly washed, you'll keep your blades much sharper and it will be MUCH easier on a thick coated dog.  If you clip all over, watch out for the flap on skin between her back leg and stomach, it's very easy to cut that, as well as the arm pits.  NEVER scissor a mat that you're pulling at or where you can't see the skin clearly because you WILL cut them.  Good luck!

BlessedMommyNE
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Thank you!  You are awesome!  I have cut our dogs hair before but it was a pain.  I just used a set of Conairs from Walmart and they just didn't do it.  Like I said I had to go over the same place over and over and over again.  It took two days of working on it.  My poor hands can't handle it! LOL!  Thank you again for your help!  I'll have to keep refering back to your post when I actually get the clippers so I know what I'm doing.  She was just cut a few days ago and we have her cut very short so hopefully it will be a little while before I have to cut her again.  We don't do the cocker cut...just shave it all off. 

Quoting PoodleMum:

I had to buy the ceramic ones separately, but they're not too expensive and last longer anyway.  The blades that come with the actual clippers will be fine, but if you're clipping your dog a lot and it's really thick or coarse hair you will dull the blades faster on them.  I know you can get them sharpened, but it was just cheaper to buy new ones honestly lol.  I'm sure the ones at Walmart will work or If you do a lot of ordering online, PetEdge has REALLY good prices and a wide variety of products that will make grooming easier like cleaning products and brushes.  They also have a chart in their catalog that tell you what blade number you'll need.  I used a #4F for a pet clip on my poodles and goat which is 3/8 in length.  The F just means it's a full toothed blade which gives it a smoother finish, but you only use it after clipping it down first because it has to be VERY clean untangled hair.  The 3-3/4 blade gives you a half in length and the longest is the 5/8HT blade with is a 5/8 in length.  Any longer and you'd have to just scissor it.  Have you ever clipped a dog before?  If not, don't worry you'll be fine :)  A few tips just in case: Always make sure the coat has been thoroughly brushed out and freshly washed, you'll keep your blades much sharper and it will be MUCH easier on a thick coated dog.  If you clip all over, watch out for the flap on skin between her back leg and stomach, it's very easy to cut that, as well as the arm pits.  NEVER scissor a mat that you're pulling at or where you can't see the skin clearly because you WILL cut them.  Good luck!

PoodleMum
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2010 at 11:46 PM

You're welcome!  I love grooming dogs and it's great to be able to help someone :)  If you ever need help or have more questions, feel free to PM me.  GL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)