Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Similar deliveries

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:06 PM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Was your delivery like your mom's.

Options:

Yes

No

somewhat

infamous other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 25

View Results

Someone has told me that your delivery will follow along the lines of your mother's.  Has anyone heard this, or can prove it or disprove it.  I hope it isn't true bc my mom had a 17 hour labor that ended in an emergency c section.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starrymonkey
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:04 PM

They were similar I suppose.  My mom labored really fast with both my sister and I - and my labor went pretty fast with DS (wouldn't have been more than four hours, but my epidural slowed my contractions, and I ended up in labor for about 7 hours total).  Hers actually went so fast that she wasn't able to get pain meds for either of us, because there wasn't time.  We both delivered vaginally, and we both had fairly large babies.  

Huh, I guess I'd never really thought about the similarities until now - I've honestly been more concerned with the theory about your mom having stretch marks than you're likely to also lol.  I walked away relatively unscathed after DS, and I've spent most of this pregnancy praying I get lucky again!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Proud mom to a Sensational kid with SPD

Gallivan07
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I hope not!  My Mom was too small to deliver (I haven't been told I have this problem) and was forced to have C-Sections with both of her babies.....I'll pass on that! 

doulala
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:57 PM

No~

VERY different.       But my mom had a late Twilight Birth era delivery.     She was strapped down, forced under drugs and unconscious for birth.    She woke up hours later told she'd delivered, didn't know whose baby that was...   

I had very natural waterbirths OUTside the hospital with non-hospital employees attending, lol...

Sooo much safer, pleasurable, MEMORABLE!!
;- /

It's a little possible to gestate-labor a bit like kin.    But the biggest risk factor is more likely who you hire to attend your birth.    If you hire a surgeon (OB) and plan to birth in the place where they routinely do a lot of unnecessary and risk-enhancing procedures (hospital), you're more likely to have interventions/surgical delivery.

If you prefer to avoid that stuff there are many things you can do.

:-)

What kind of a birth experience would you prefer?    What are you doing to prepare for this?

• We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful. It's that women are strong.                                                                      ~Harm
  • Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.                                                                       ~Einstein
  • To know the way ahead, ask those coming back.  ~Chinese proverb

kitty8199
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:12 PM

My doc says she doesn't do pitocin inductions, and has a very low c-section rate, so I am sticking with her.

Hrivera5
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:18 PM

I have no idea if my mother's labor would have been similar to mine, she only had c-sections and never experienced labor.

kayla19216
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:20 PM
Moms was completely different. I had c section as to she had a vaginal delivery. If I knew then what I knew today it would have been similar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MikeysMom51108
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Not true for me. With my brother, my mom labored for something like 72 hours before she had an emergency c-section. With me, she labored for something like 48 hours before another emergency c-section. My younger brothers were both planned c-sections. For some reason, my mom just never dilated past a 3.

I was in labor 12 hours with my son, and he was born vaginally. With my daughter, I was in labor 8 hours, and she too was born vaginally.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

maybebaby83
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I hope its not! My mom had 2 c sections.. my sister also had a c-section... im due thursday.. im hoping for natural!

doulala
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Quoting kitty8199:

My doc says she doesn't do pitocin inductions, and has a very low c-section rate, so I am sticking with her.

How do you know if you will need to be induced or have complications that require surgery?
Do you know what she means by "low rate" exactly~  overall or for first-time moms or...?    What is the rate?    What will you need to do to avoid one (if you prefer to avoid)?
What if you need to be induced, which drug does she use?     Will you agree that that option is ethical?

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

SoLuckysAngel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:28 PM

My mom and I joke that even though our births are very similar I must feel the need to one up her.

With me my mom had a longer labor, never dialated fully even though she was given pitocin, but they used forceps and pulled me out anyway. I was 10 days early and slightly jaundice.

With DS I was in labor for 50 hours, didn't dialate past 6cm even with pitocin and had an emergency c-section. DS was 10 days early and slightly jaundice.

With my little sister my mom was put on bed rest at 20 weeks and had a scheduled c-setion.

With this baby I was put on bed rest at 13 1/2 weeks and will be having a scheduled c-section.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)