Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ectopic Pregnancy?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:46 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi ladies! My name's Kalina and I'm hoping to get some imput on some things I've been experiencing over the past few days.  I'm a mom of 4 and got the Mirena IUD inserted in December of 2009.  I've had no complaints thus far and am very happy with it.  However, I've heard that the risk for ectopic pregnancy is higher for women who have an IUD.  The past 3 days I've been having some sharp pains that come and go in my lower, left abdomen, kinda where I assume my ovaries/fallopian tubes are.  And now I'm having all over cramping in my uterus.  No other symptoms of pregnancy or anything and no bleeding, I haven't had a period in over 4 months.  My OB/GYN did a preg test last week when she checked my IUD and it was negative but I've read that a lot of times it will be with a tubal pregnancy.  Have any of you ladies experienced an ectopic pregnancy?  What were your symptoms? 

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
young_spook
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Oh man I'd get checked for that. Those are the symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy. 

SullivanMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:53 PM

I dont think youre pregnant. The IUD is not the best BC out there. Then again none of them are great. Always some kind of side effect to go along with them. I hope you feel better soon.

MommaBoop922
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I had an ectopic last September and I had a burning cramping feeling in my lower abdomen (left side) near my hip bone, I had light pink spotting at one point, and overall I just felt like something was wrong.  I tested positive on pregnancy tests but the urine tests came up with very faint positives and the blood tests came back abnormal with my levels not rising properly. I recommend getting checked and requesting an u/s to be safe.  If it is tubal then it can cause major problems and be very dangerous, esp. if it ruptures. Good Luck and I hope you feel better

kitty8199
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:58 PM

You will still test positive, your levels will just be lower, and ectopic you will bleed usually.  Pain will usually not subside.  I would still get checked if you are concerned, but the pain could be from other things too.  That is the only symptom you have and you are missing quite a few of them.  Does it hurt if you press on it while lying on your back?  That is a big sign.

proudmomma32
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:01 PM

If you were pregnant with an ectopic you would still test positive...however I also had the Mirena for about a year and I finally got it pulled..it is known for ovarian cysts and they hurt like crazy...I would have that checked...Hope it all works out for you...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)