Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHATS THE DEAL WITH BLACK COHOSH?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:54 PM
  • 5 Replies

HI GIRLS IM 38 WEEKS PREGNANT AND IN TOTAL IVE FELT CONTRACTIONS ONLY ONCE YESTERDAY 5-6 MIN APART FOR 1 HOUR..BUT I HAVENT PROGRESSED OR ANYTHING...I WANNA HELP SPEED UP THINGS...I HAVE A BABYGIRL ALREADY...SO I KNOE THE DEAL..BUT DOES BLACK COHOSK WORK TO HAVE THE BABY SOONER OR WHAT??I DRANK RASBERRY TEA BUT DIDNT DO ANYTHING...I DONT NEED U GUYS TO TELL ME ITS WRONG TO MAKE BABY COME OUT BEFORE,,,THANKS=)

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
CTRedSoxMom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Herbs such as blue or black cohosh should ONLY be used under the care of a trained medical professional, or herbologist.

They are NOT recommended to take during pregnancy, and dosage could be very dangerous.

MelzyD
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Never heard of black cohosh, but here's a bump for you.

doulala
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Cohosh is risky~   low blood pressure can become an emergency.
I don't know of anyone doing it privately (only under direct supervision of regular monitoring in the office), not at home.

palemoon21
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Quoting doulala:

I don't know of anyone doing it privately (only under direct supervision of regular monitoring in the office), not at home.

This. Which I why I see a holistic dr (chrio, herbalist) If you are not trained in what the doseage should be then you can cause severe harm to yourself or baby.

On a side note, RRL tea does not make you go into labor. It's suppose to be used throughout pregnancy (all 3 triemsters) to tone the uterus for an easier labor/birth. It will not send you into contractions.

General_Mamma
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Both true.... I use Red Raspberry Leaf tea throughout my pregnancy, as with an irritable uterus, it makes things a little easier on me.  Black Cohosh was suggested to me with my first, but after reading up on it, I realized that it's not worth the risk, as with Castor Oil, the risks outweigh the benefits.  I sugget many things, all of which have the possability to help labor progress (if it's going on)... but relaxing and letting your body do is best.  Sit back and enjoy a move, maybe with a spicy popcorn ;) ;)

Quoting palemoon21:

Quoting doulala:

This. Which I why I see a holistic dr (chrio, herbalist) If you are not trained in what the doseage should be then you can cause severe harm to yourself or baby.

On a side note, RRL tea does not make you go into labor. It's suppose to be used throughout pregnancy (all 3 triemsters) to tone the uterus for an easier labor/birth. It will not send you into contractions.

pregnancy week by week
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)