Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vbac and pitocin

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:44 PM
  • 16 Replies

i just want to hear your experience or if you know of someone who had a vbac and used pitocin...i thought it was contraindicated secondary to increasing chances for a uterine rupture or even a repeat c-section, so i'm quite confused as to why my Ob-gyn would bring it up...even if it's just for "augmentation" not "induction"...I've started to dialate, but not having strong contractions yet...so she told me to go back in 3 days to check again...i'm 38 weeks btw...i'm just confused now and don't know what to do...she really doesn't want to wait past 40 weeks, if i don' t go into labor 'naturally' she will do a repeat c/s :/confused

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katie_uszaki
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:49 PM

my ob office will let me go a week past 40 weeks.  i am trying for a vbac this time too.  that is ridiculous that she doesn't want you to go past 40 weeks because i have an office that will let me go to 41 weeks and is willing to let me go a little more possibly. 

LiviaA
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:53 PM

My sister had a VBAC 13 months after her c-section with her twins.  She ended up having pitocin since her contractions weren't getting strong enough or close together.  She was in pretty full labor and I think dilated to a 6 when they started it.  Everything turned out just fine for her.

SullivanMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Pitocin & Vbac = Bad

LiviaA
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Oh, and my sister's doctor was the same way.  He didn't want her to go too much past 40-41 weeks.

In fact she went into labor naturally 2 days before her induction date.

jessihernandez
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I wouldn't think that would be very wise. I would also be concerned that your OB doesn't want to let you go past 40 weeks. Some babies need more time in the womb. 42 weeks and a bit beyond is still normal. Just remember you can always refuse any treatment you don't want. Listen to your mommy gut and you'll know what to do.

ryonica
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:26 PM


Quoting katie_uszaki:

my ob office will let me go a week past 40 weeks.  i am trying for a vbac this time too.  that is ridiculous that she doesn't want you to go past 40 weeks because i have an office that will let me go to 41 weeks and is willing to let me go a little more possibly. 

i hope you get ur vbac, i really want one too...i'm gonna have to ask about the 40 week mark; although my baby was in the 86th percentile as far as measuring big...not sure if that's her reasoning, i need to have a longer chat with her next time :/

last time i had a completely elective c-section to avoid putting my son in more distress during labor, i knew he was going to pass away due to a defect, but i wanted to hold him alive and i got my wish...he fought for a whole 15 hours and beat all odds, he was gorgeous...i know i'm a good vbac candidate bc my high-risk obgyn did a low transverse, double suture, it's been 2 years, yada yada...i'm still really worried though and that chat about pitocin did not help :/

doulala
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Why not wait until 40 weeks (also known as The Mid-point in your Estimated Due Period) ?
What do you want?   What kind of a birth experience?
Do you prefer to avoid a cesarean?   Do you prefer the safer route?

 

I would encourage you to avoid vaginal exams and drugs~
save a cesarean for an emergency, for a necessary situation.


ryonica
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:42 PM


Quoting doulala:

Why not wait until 40 weeks (also known as The Mid-point in your Estimated Due Period) ?
What do you want?   What kind of a birth experience?
Do you prefer to avoid a cesarean?   Do you prefer the safer route?


I would encourage you to avoid vaginal exams and drugs~
save a cesarean for an emergency, for a necessary situation.


after losing my first son at 35 weeks, all i want is a happy and healthy baby more than a 'birth experience', but i would prefer a vbac over a c-section...i've heard so many opinions, experiences, and read so much on the subject that my head is spinning and i don't even know what's safest anymore...yet, i'm inquiring because I want some reassurance....i'm past the doctor and the research, i just want to put it in God's hands...and my friends and family asking when and how i'm having the baby is driving me insane to say the least...this is me right now..lol banging head into wall

Loa1002
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Pit will only INCREASE your chances of having another c/s...... I would not let them check you-dont go back. The French go by 42 weeks not 40 weeks-you wont expire at 40 weeks. :( 

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM

 go with what you want! if you dont care if you could potentially end up with a c-section, get the induction. otherwise if you really want to try for a vbac, then dont get the induction and dont allow your doctor to schedule you a c-section at all, let alone before 40 weeks. its not like she can force you to get cut open! good luck, i hope you get whatever type of birth you're hoping for!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)