Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hire a doula or no?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:10 PM
  • 12 Replies

I found a doula in my area about a month ago. I emailed her and she just responded tonight. All the email said is that anybody who signs up with her before she is officially certifies next month gets her services for $100. Includes 2 visits, 24/7 advice line and labor and delivery help. I wanted a doula becuase my son was 8 lbs 4 oz and my ob wants to push a c section if she is that big becuse my son got stuck. I thought the help and support of a doula could help me get the labor I am aiming for maybe even help me go epi free. I just dont know if its worth the $100 this late in the game. I have low bp, high heart rate and just had a blood tranfusion so I will be closely monitored in labor and they are looking for any reason to say nope lets do a c section. I want my delivery to go smoothly and the assistance is great but is it worth the money with the few weeks I have left?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
palemoon21
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:30 PM

YES!!!! :) You'd really need her for labor/birth support so of course it'd be money well spent in any time frame of your pregnancy.

$100 is nothing when you think about the happiness and relief you'll feel when you have someone there to assist you in getting EXACTLY what you want.

doulala
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:39 PM

uhhh, that is money out of her pocket, lol!    ;-)

Literally it will cost her that much to be available and to help you!
Sounds like she's doing it for the experience...
What a steal!!

motherofzandz
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Quoting doulala:

uhhh, that is money out of her pocket, lol!    ;-)

Literally it will cost her that much to be available and to help you!
Sounds like she's doing it for the experience...
What a steal!!

I know its a grest deal price wise.Her prices go way up after Sept. Its like 450 for a basic small package. My only issue is if the ob insist on doing a c section at 38 weeks then I wasted $100 and she wasted her time with me instead of another women. I am already having contractions and such which they cannot give me meds for so if I am 3 cm at 38 weeks with another nig baby the doctor is going to say its too risky and that I will probably go into labor if they dont jusst do a c section then. I say just because my hips are narrow I deserve to try it but they are all scared they thought they fractured my sons skull when they pulled him out so hard. I think they were so afraid of law suit last time if they had hurt him they kept apologizing and trying to explain and really seem hard core for lets not try that again. I think there were lots of reasons that he got stuck and that I should try again and work to prevent those issues.

doulala
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:55 PM
Quoting motherofzandz:
Quoting doulala:

My only issue is if the ob insist on doing a c section at 38 weeks then I wasted $100 and she wasted her time with me instead of another women. I am already having contractions and such which they cannot give me meds for so if I am 3 cm at 38 weeks with another nig baby the doctor is going to say its too risky and that I will probably go into labor if they dont jusst do a c section then. I say just because my hips are narrow I deserve to try it but they are all scared they thought they fractured my sons skull when they pulled him out so hard. I think they were so afraid of law suit last time if they had hurt him they kept apologizing and trying to explain and really seem hard core for lets not try that again. I think there were lots of reasons that he got stuck and that I should try again and work to prevent those issues.

Well you are looking out for your best interest, what is healthiest and safest, weighing risks.
W

Do you have a genetic malformation, an accident, or illness that would affect your situation?

Did you labor and push upright on the birth stool or leaning forward?

Reluctant doctors like to believe that they haven't much influence over
their patients, but that is clearly not the case. Several studies have
found that when doctors genuinely encouraged women to have VBACs, most
of them did, and when they said nothing or acted neutral, most women
didn't. Finally, when obstetricians discouraged VBAC in women who
wanted to try it,none of them did.

Henci Goer, Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth

Loa1002
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:02 AM

yes yes yes!!! Hire one. I read the book The Doula Advantage-great book. 

How did you son get stuck? Were you by any chance pushing while laying on your back? Did you have any pitocin or an epi? 

Watch the documentary the Business of Being Born. Join a couple of natural pregnancy groups

" />

Michelle030407
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Yes, yes, yes!  I am a doula and I want you to know no woman is wasted time EVER.  We love being there to help you any way we can, vaginal or c-section.  We will be with you before, during and after the surgery/birth because YOU mean something to us.  There are so many misconceptions about doulas but I know I am the type of doula that helps mom have the birth SHE wants to have.  It's all about you doing what you feel is best and having the unwavering support of your doula at all times.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
ladyambition
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:18 AM

I've thought about having one but I know I couldn't afford one. I think my ambition to get this baby into this world safe and healthy plus the support of my family will get me through it.

motherofzandz
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:25 AM

I am not sure why my son got stuck but these are my "theories"

A) I had a very strong epi and never could not feel anything at all. I tore and was cut alot so maybe that not horrible. I think not being able to feel to push there was a big problem though.

B) Laying on back

C) I have small hips and all my bones are messed up. My hips are kind of angled funny. This may be the main problem. I am small framed and my hips narrow and misformed a little.

I just think that it doesn't doom me to a c section and another vaginal delivery is possible. Maybe by hiring a doula she can even look at my hips and help me determine the best way to deliver a baby without the getting stuck thing. My labor was a breeze but my delivery was hard though it only lasted 30 minutes and the epi was so strong it wasn't near as painful as would of been. My bladder is completely shot from the delivery as well and healing from the delivery took a long time. I am just wondering if trying to change things and control the situation better may result in a better delivery.

ready_for2
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:26 AM

yes!!!! anything to avoid an unnecessarian would be worth it.

were you laboring and pushing on your back? if so, that is why the baby got 'stuck'. a doula would be amazing at suggesting and helping you with different positions for laboring and moving the baby down.

doulala
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:43 AM

I would expect that your choices will greatly affect the outcome.
We are not meant to lie down/recline to deliver...       Our bodies are designed to work with Gravity.    To be UPright.  
If
there is any concern about your pelvis, lying down might worsen the situation.
Pushing a baby literally up toward the ceiling is hard for anyone, but not being able to really work with the instincts that come with a natural (unmedicated) labor are debilitating.

I know from a lot of reading, helping others to labor, and from my own birth, that how we labor is significant.

And that who we hire to attend our deliveries can make all the difference.    (not speaking of doulas, per se, but more like using a surgeon to attend a non-surgical birth)

Oh, and I have info about CPD I can share---

:-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)