Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Renewing wedding vows

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:08 AM
  • 7 Replies

I know this is not prgnancy related at all, but does anyone else think it is silly when people renew their wedding vows after only being married a year? It seems like celebrities do this a lot more than regular people. It just seems silly to me to do it after one year. I mean I know they say the first year of marriage is the hardest but I always thought renewing vows was more for like 5, 10, 20, 50 years later, not ONE. DH and I are planning on taking a trip to Las Vegas for our 5 year wedding anniversary (if finances work out) but I don't know if we will renew our vows or not. It is really more of a late honeymoon since we didn't get one, plus I have always wanted to go to Vegas. I think it would be funny to renew them at one of the those themed places, like Star Wars or whatever, lol.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
housefullofkidz
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Ya, One is kinda silly.  I think 10 is a good year to do them.

orange4agua72
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Well, hubby and I aloped and only my mom and his mom were there.

So, on our one year anniversary we renewed our vows in front of everyone in a church and had a HUGE reception. It was awesome and no one ever had anything negative to say about it. We didn't lie and tell anyone it was our REAL wedding or anything, but it was like our REAL wedding because no one had celebrated it or saw us get married.

jessicaaris
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Well that makes sense since you didn't have an "official" wedding the first time. I can see wanting to do a big one with all the family. But for people who had a big wedding, renewing after a year seems silly to me.

Quoting orange4agua72:

Well, hubby and I aloped and only my mom and his mom were there.

So, on our one year anniversary we renewed our vows in front of everyone in a church and had a HUGE reception. It was awesome and no one ever had anything negative to say about it. We didn't lie and tell anyone it was our REAL wedding or anything, but it was like our REAL wedding because no one had celebrated it or saw us get married.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
mom2jaymeenella
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:17 AM

ooo ood idea our 5 year anniversary is in may maybe we should go to vegas we never had a honey moon either

One-n-Counting
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:19 AM

It depends. If the couple recite their vows each anniversary to remind themselves of their commitment... then no it isn't silly. If were talking a huge wedding party to renew their vows... I think it's a bit over the top if 10 or more years hasn't passed.   

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I can see how it may seem silly.  However, I think it is good for couples to renew their vows, and re-commit themselves to each other (I have known people who will read them on a daily basis).  I think all too often people forget what they actually did say on their wedding day.  If it is going to strengthen their relationship, I say go for it. 

newmama008
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:06 PM
My husband and I want to renew our vowsat our 5 year. We had a small(about 6 ppl) wedding that was planned in less than 24 hours. My grandma was dying and insisted on being at the wedding so we planned a quick wedding for her( no big deal to us bc we had to be married to move in together and this got us to move in together faster) then planned on doing a bigger wedding 4 months later. But we ended up not having the money and then I got pregnant so we never had a real wedding. I would love to do the whole wedding thing and have all my family and friends there. I still get asked if I'm married by ppl I know because no one knew I even had a "wedding"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)