Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Those who were induced with pitocin

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:42 AM
  • 17 Replies

I am looking for some in site on to what I am heading into? I did some research and I am not liking what I read. I knew before hand that the contractions would be stronger. My biggest thing is I do not wanna be monitored constantly. My dr said that I would be monitored for the first hour and then 15 min every hour after that. But it wont be my dr that is delivering it looks like it will be his partner. Can I make this demand that I am monitored minimally unless something comes up? And do I have to have the IV on constantly too? Can they just give it to me and then close it off? My dr said they were gonna give me one small round of pitocin and then break my water 1-2hrs later depending on my contractions all he wants to do it get my body to contract regularly since I do have contractions through out the day but nothing steady. This was kinda brought on last minute so I didn't do my research before he set this up. But I do wanna go into today with a plan so any help would be great thanks.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommynwife26
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:46 AM

BUMP!

housefullofkidz
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:47 AM

I think with pitocin they need to monitor you closely to make sure baby is handling the contractions okay. They don't want to see the heart rate go down, that sort of thing.The contractions can be so strong that it could send baby into distress. I have had 7 pitocin births and they were all fine, but as you know there is always a risk. The problem is they won't know if there is an issue unless they are monitoring you. It can happen rather sudden. I believe you need to keep the IV in constantly as well as the pitocin should be continuous. I have never had them shut off the pitocin after I was contracting. They wanted to keep the progression going. Good luck!!

angelmom224
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I would cancel. How far along have you dialated and is the baby very far down. With my last 2 they were right there and I was at 5 cms. So all they had to do was break my water and baby was born in less than 30 mins. If baby is still high and you are not that far dialated I woud wait. Cause you will have the iv in the whole time with a ppitocin drip and if they break your water and you dont start moving fast you will end up with a csection. And since the pain is stronger if you ask for the epi it will slow the contractions down too or stop all together so then they have to up the pit. It is one vicious cycle that you really dont want to get involved in. If you are having contractions already I would just start doing things to get them going. Sex, walking, clean the house, just get very active and see what happens. GL

madleine
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:49 AM

just talk to your doctor. i was allowed to go walk for an hour without an iV, but then i had to be hooked up again because i was GBS positive and like 5 cms. when i felt like i needed to push, i wasn't allowed to get up again. to me, it wasn't terribly bad. i was able to sit on a birthing ball and walk with my IV pole, but just talk to your doctor and i'm pretty sure the nurses will respect your wishes too!
good luck! 

prego7386
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:50 AM

i had pitocin and was monitored it wasnt bad just a band around your stomach to monitor how hard the contractions were and his heart beat and an iv..i still moved around in the bed and all..its not like you are strapped down to the bed and have to stay in a certain position the entire time. trust me you wont even notice the belly band when they jump kick your but with the pitocin lol. they need to make sure the amount they are giving you isn't causing the baby any stress or your contractions to become to sever.

Mommynwife26
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:51 AM

I am 3 almost 4cm and 65% effaced.

Quoting angelmom224:

I would cancel. How far along have you dialated and is the baby very far down. With my last 2 they were right there and I was at 5 cms. So all they had to do was break my water and baby was born in less than 30 mins. If baby is still high and you are not that far dialated I woud wait. Cause you will have the iv in the whole time with a ppitocin drip and if they break your water and you dont start moving fast you will end up with a csection. And since the pain is stronger if you ask for the epi it will slow the contractions down too or stop all together so then they have to up the pit. It is one vicious cycle that you really dont want to get involved in. If you are having contractions already I would just start doing things to get them going. Sex, walking, clean the house, just get very active and see what happens. GL

BlkWingedAngel
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:53 AM
I had to be hooked to monitors and ivs the whole time with both of my pregnancies while using pit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K.a.C.87
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:55 AM

with my last i was 4CM and 80%, they broke my water and nothing happened!

Quoting angelmom224:

I am a 22 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, and handsome little man, Bryant Allyn (sucessful VBAC). Loving fiance to Lee. Cloth diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, NON-CIO, Non-Circumcising, Vaxing mommy turned to Select-VAXing!

MammaRed
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Well, if this is so sudden, tell your doctor you wish to reschedule for next week so you hsve some time to get your wishes in order.  Maybe then his partner wouldn't have to be on call, and you can actually be delivered by the OB whom has been seeing you.  

You will probably have to have an IV (all part of being induced) but you don't HAVE to have monitoring constantly and if your doctor is okay with 15 minutes every hour (so you can get up and walk around, which is definitely important especially if being induced) then I would wait until he can be on call.  You need to feel safe and comfortable in the hands of your provider.

Tell him you would like to reschedule so you have some more time to plan. 

General_Mamma
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Even with a pitocin induction.. they are only required to monitor continually if the baby or you shows signs of distress or danger.  Otherwise, they do ask once an hour or so, just to be on the safe side.  I walked around when I had it.  Definately put it into your birth plan, though.  AND don't be afraid to speak up and remind people (most nurses never even glance at your birth plan).

ALSO.. you generally won't NEED an IV, unless you're getting meds for GBS.. even then, you can request a walking IV, and take it with you walking, to the bathroom and whatnot.  It rolls right along side you, and is a great thing to hold on to if a big contractions surprises you :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)