• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Best Thing You Did During Labor - advice for First Time Moms

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:02 PM
  • 18 Replies

So ladies, please share. I'm a first time mom and I've been reading so much about labor but I find it more comforting and realistic to hear from moms.

Hospital/Birthing Center/Home Birth

Medicated/Non-Medicated/Cesarian

The Best Thing You Did

The Worst Thing You Did

Who Was There With You

Thank you :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kamrynlily07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:08 PM

The best thing I can tell you is be prepared for anything!  My first birth I walked into the hospital in no pain at all at 6 cm and had to have pitocin, got an epidural that didn't work and pushed her out after 45 minutes of pushing and about 5 hours of labor.  My second birth I was waiting for my induction to be scheduled and went into labor spontaneously at home and barely made it to the hospital in time, he basically flew out with no pushing after a labor of less than 2 hours total.  I can tell you that the contractions with him came on fast and strong and were sooo painful.  I wish I had prepared myself for that.  The nurse kept telling me to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth to release endorphins...nothing seemed to help.  I was freaking out that it was too late for pain medication and was going so fast. 

Megara
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I had both of my babies in a free-standing birth center with a midwife - no medication or interventions.  With both of them my mom and my husband were with me.  With my second my best friend and my daughter were also at the birth center, and they came in right after the baby was born.

My first birth I like to think of as my "trial run."  Having never done it before, I really didn't know what to expect, despite my own mother being a midwife and reading everything I could get my hands on.  You never know exactly how your body is going to handle labor until you do it!

The best thing I did was birth my way - out of hospital.  I loved the relaxed, homey atmosphere, I loved the low-key environment and the midwife's attitude (letting my body do it's thing).

The worst thing I did during my first birth was not eat or drink enough.  I went into labor at 7:00 am, had some juice and a little oatmeal, and then had a 13 hour labor.  So that little juice and oatmeal was all I had for about 24 hours and that was not good for me!  I also watched the clock too much.  I knew that transition was supposed to last an average of 20 minutes.  I was staring at the clock on the wall pretty much the whole time.  10 minutes passed, then 20, then 30, then an hour...my transition was 2 hours long and I made it worse for myself by being upset that it wasn't going the "textbook" way!

grapejelly
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I had a hospital with a Midwife.  Deciding on a MW was my best choice ever, I woudln't have had the birth I wanted without her..

Non-medicated (other than antibiotics for GBS +)

Best thing labor wise - moaning it got me through each contraction.

Worst thing - not moving around enough.  It's so hard to get yourself moving, but it totally does help with progression

My hubby was my main support, other than him it was the nurse and MW.

angelbaby053099
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:12 PM

BUMP!

maybebaby83
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Hospital/Birthing Center/Home Birth - Hopsital!

Medicated/Non-Medicated/Cesarian - Medicated, but Epidurals DO run out.. The whole end of labor (about an hour and a half), the entire pushing process was no epidural.

The Best Thing You Did - Prepared days leading up to labor.. I bounced on a bouncing ball, walked every night during pregnancy, ate well and drank lots of water. Labor is just that.. LABOR. its hard work. the better shape you are in the better! You also dont realize how tired and sore your arms will be the next day from pushing. That never even occured to me!

The Worst Thing You Did Tensed my body durring contractions.. My body would NOT dilate until after I had Nubaine (spelling?) a painkiller that relaxed me. They honestly thought i was going to have to be induced or C-section b/c for HOURS i was in hard labor and my body wouldnt dilate. I was far to tense and when you tense up your body it wont dilate.

Who Was There With You My DH! :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Bren07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Quoting ALYKAESMOMMY:

Hospital/Birthing Center/Home Birth

hospital births for both kids (had midwives, long story short i have an OB this time around)

Medicated/Non-Medicated/Cesarian

#1-medicated
#2-medicated and csection

The Best Thing You Did

#1-walked and got into the tub, they have giant jacuzzi style tubs there, that was the best thing to help the contractions. it was so relaxing.
eta-also breathing thru the contractions

#2-best thing i did was get the epi. my contractions were so painful after my water broke that i was going into shock..

The Worst Thing You Did

um..that would b sign the general consent form when registering. that gives them the right to give u pit or anything else without an additional consent form.

Who Was There With You
#1- my hubby and MIL and FIL (long story but he wasnt supposed to b there)
#2-during labor my hubby. my MIL, FIL and SIL were in and out to come talk and see us. then left right b4 my water broke. my MIL and FIL came back just in time to stand outside of the operating room when i had my csection..my hubby was there the whole time..

HI! im a 21yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to two BOYS and one on the way. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!
SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS, IM NAK ALOT!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I had a non-medicated hospital birth for three of my labors.  The best thing I did was to listen to my body.  Each of my labors, I labored differently.  My first, the water took so much of the pain away.  With my second, I had to walk and walk and walk.  My third, I just moved a lot while kneeling on the hospital bed.  As far as worst thing I did, I wish I had more confidence with my first labor.  I knew what I was doing, but at times, I would second guess.  With my first two births, I had my doula, husband and sister (who is a doc) there besides my nurse and midwife.  However, my last birth, it was just my doula and husband. 

I wish you the best momma! 

ALYKAESMOMMY
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Crystal1989
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM
Breath truly breath thru a contraction every single of of them and when its time to push push like there's no tomorrow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LisaM.C.
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:03 PM
I had a hospital birth
I got an epidural and it was a pump so it didn't run out they just push a button and there is more.
Best thing I did was sleep when I could before pushing.
Worse thing I did was not eat before I was induced I got hungry lol.
My df his mom and my almost mom were there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)