• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well, I talked to the doctor and he thought my wanting to be checked every couple of weeks was more then reasonable!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:07 PM
  • 15 Replies

so the .5 that I had last week? he didn't feel a nub left.

he did however comment that my cervix was soft as butter, and that it still felt shut to his touch with out him pushing hard to see if it was dilated at all, just a soft touch made him think it was still closed for now...

the doc 10 days before commented that there was a nub left.

This one siad it was just closed, and soft as butter... and indicated that it was "just closed" at this point.

So, its closed.

If it is changing, its doing it over a slow enough period that we may be able to leech a few weeks out of me.

I can keep doing this, the medication seems to be working, so i can force myself to keep dealing with the side effects and being here as long as its working.

The only other thing I've been thinking about lately is at what point do we stop all the drugs and just see what happens? 33 weeks? 34 weeks... 35 weeks?

every doctor has a different idea.

For magnesium, they've all said its not safe to use after 34 weeks and most prefer not to use it after 33.

So, at some point, our "oh shit drug" just won't be available to us, and they said if i'm on turb for long enough, i'll eventually build up an immunity/resistance to it, like someone who gets used to herion and they'll either have to up my dose at a steady rate, just enough to keep my heart rate around 90-100 and the shakes (which means your body isn't adjusted to it, keeping it functional in your system.) or it will just stop working all together too after a few weeks.

So, I'm trying to think of what I feel is an acceptable risk to just say "okay, whatever happens is going to happen..." since every doctor here has a different opinion and I have a feeling its going to come down to Jake and I deciding when that "line" is for us since the doctors may not all agree.

I have a few weeks to think about it, I really believe at this point that we can get to 32 or 33 now that I know that I am changing slow enough not to be super obvious if we weren't being so careful about keeping track.

i know the doctors big thing is getting me past that 32 mark and they really stop worrying.

I have to kind of take all this information into consideration so this way by the time 3 weeks from now rolls by I can make an educated decision with Jake on what to do, who knows, maybe by then abbie and i'll have it down so we will hit 36 weeks no matter what happens! LOL

I have hope. But, I also want to be realistic about all the options in this situation so I don't have it sprung on me that hey, if your contractions go batshit crazy at 33 1/2 weeks, they may chose not to stop them at that point because its close enough to 34 weeks, they'd be worried about respitory distress from the magnesium in the baby.

Eventually the turb will build up in my system and stop being effective, as it is the shakes are slowly getting less intense, which means my body is building up a tolerance for it, so eventually when I am not feeling any side effects, thats probably why my contractions are starting to break through as my body gets used to the dose they have me on.

i didn't have to take the downer today that takes the edge off the turb, she was like 5 hours late offering it to me and I was like you know, I don't feel like I need it today, it's just going to make me foggy and I am barely shaking...

apparently, that barely shaking and feeling normal on turb is a sign your body's building up a tolerance to it and is probably why its becoming less effective and why they have to top me off with the shots.

On the upside, my cervix hasn't changed enough to make them panic in 2 weeks, so they are getting the contractions chilled out fast enough to stop them from making big big quick changes.

Lets just hope we can keep this up with no big changes for the next 3-4 weeks, and were pretty set... if she's born after 32+ weeks she will most likely get to go home in a couple weeks if she responds well and is developed well.

I personally think she's going to come out kicking and screaming and being cranky to be yanked from her home quite so soon. ;o

I asked him if her head being on my cervix could cause changes and he said yes, now that she's head down her head can irritate it and help increase the rate of dilation.

He seemed to think my wanting to be checked every 10-14 days, is a reasonable request in this situation.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rileysmommy229
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM

i know  a lot women that had to have labor stopped early on but ended up going past 40 weeks...good luck!!!

kajira
by Emma on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:40 PM

yeah, since my son went 3 weeks late, I think i'll make it to term, or that i'll have a good chance anyways.

i'll always be high risk after this, but if I can get to 36 weeks i can have my home birth.

xxlilmomma09
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I was on terb from 28 weeks-35 weeks with my second baby. I ended up carrying to 40 weeks, 4 days with her!

I have only received the terb with this pregnancy once so far. But my doctor now told me that they won't interfere with stopping labor past 34 weeks.

I hope that your cervix stays closed and that you are able to make it to at least 36 weeks! Good luck!!

MrsSamMerlotte
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:01 PM
Bump to read later lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christine.r2624
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:10 PM
I did w/ my son. Stopped it @35 weeks, he was born at 41. Currently w/ DD they stopped it at 33 weeks and I am now 37 weeks!

Quoting rileysmommy229:

i know  a lot women that had to have labor stopped early on but ended up going past 40 weeks...good luck!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
5angels4me
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:29 PM

I went into labor with my first baby at 30 weeks, they sent me home at 32 weeks, went back into labor the next day and he was born.  No problems at all just needed to gain weight.  Went into labor at 32 weeks with my second, they stopped it and I carried him to term.  Went into labor at 28 weeks with a partial abruption with my 3rd.  They stopped it and I carried him to 42 weeks.  Having been in your situation more than once, I feel for you and hope everything goes much more smoothly for you.

MrsSamMerlotte
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:40 PM
Good luck to you. Hopefully you are one of those women who go off the meds and make it to 40 weeks. Ill definitely be thinking about you and your peanut and I hope everything turns out the way you hope!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
General_Mamma
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Glad to hear it all, hun. Doctor's here stoping giving meds at 32wks as well.  I have been on turb and mag within 10hrs of giving birth before, without any adverse effects on babies (not saying there aren't risks).

I do hope you stay closed, and I pray that even after they stop meds, you two continue the battle.

kajira
by Emma on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:45 PM

yep, it's the "risks" part that I am debating about.

for me, I take educated risks, I really, really research and since I see multiple doctors, i'll ask multiple doctors here the same questions to see how the majority of them feel about the situations and then take that information and apply it to my decision making process too... besides just trusting my gut instincts.

My gut is saying that 33+ weeks and were probably home free. I still think she's going to come before her due date, but my gut has *always* said "Thanksgiving baby"

Like, as in I told my husband when I first got pregnant, oh, my due date is thanksgiving I think, or at least, thats when she's gonna be born. so when they put me in december as late as the 13th (my due date we settled on was the 8th, from our dating ultrasound at 10 weeks) I was like, yeah not gonna happen. LOL

by 12 weeks pregnant, before any of these complications even got started, I picked out a preemie carseat and started telling people, anything thats gonna happen, baby shower wise, has to happen before september. I told everyone that, my aunt and my other in law said that couldn't do it in august because it was "too early" so they planned it for september.

I told them, well lets hope i can make it.

I ended up on hospital bed rest a week before my two baby showers (which were a week apart.)

I had another friend who wanted to throw one for us in october and I had to tell her that I just didn't that would be possible for me to attend.

I knew something like this was going to happen, I just didn't know "what that meant" until it happened.

My husband said it was kind of creepy how I seemed to be nesting and getting stuff ready for this before we even knew there was a problem.

so, as weird as that sounds, I kinda trust my gut instincts.

they haven't lead me wrong yet!

the only thing I can't figure out now is .. "is she being born on thanksgiving, or is she coming home on thanksgiving" my mommy sensor won't tell me that. just that she'll be here by thanksgiving most likely. ;o

Quoting General_Mamma:

Glad to hear it all, hun. Doctor's here stoping giving meds at 32wks as well.  I have been on turb and mag within 10hrs of giving birth before, without any adverse effects on babies (not saying there aren't risks).

I do hope you stay closed, and I pray that even after they stop meds, you two continue the battle.

General_Mamma
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM

My youngest was due on Dec 12th... I had a feeling about Thanksgiving as well... we had her the night before, and brought her home in time for Turkey :)

Quoting kajira:

yep, it's the "risks" part that I am debating about.

for me, I take educated risks, I really, really research and since I see multiple doctors, i'll ask multiple doctors here the same questions to see how the majority of them feel about the situations and then take that information and apply it to my decision making process too... besides just trusting my gut instincts.

My gut is saying that 33+ weeks and were probably home free. I still think she's going to come before her due date, but my gut has *always* said "Thanksgiving baby"

Like, as in I told my husband when I first got pregnant, oh, my due date is thanksgiving I think, or at least, thats when she's gonna be born. so when they put me in december as late as the 13th (my due date we settled on was the 8th, from our dating ultrasound at 10 weeks) I was like, yeah not gonna happen. LOL

by 12 weeks pregnant, before any of these complications even got started, I picked out a preemie carseat and started telling people, anything thats gonna happen, baby shower wise, has to happen before september. I told everyone that, my aunt and my other in law said that couldn't do it in august because it was "too early" so they planned it for september.

I told them, well lets hope i can make it.

I ended up on hospital bed rest a week before my two baby showers (which were a week apart.)

I had another friend who wanted to throw one for us in october and I had to tell her that I just didn't that would be possible for me to attend.

I knew something like this was going to happen, I just didn't know "what that meant" until it happened.

My husband said it was kind of creepy how I seemed to be nesting and getting stuff ready for this before we even knew there was a problem.

so, as weird as that sounds, I kinda trust my gut instincts.

they haven't lead me wrong yet!

the only thing I can't figure out now is .. "is she being born on thanksgiving, or is she coming home on thanksgiving" my mommy sensor won't tell me that. just that she'll be here by thanksgiving most likely. ;o

Quoting General_Mamma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)