Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Birth?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:08 PM
  • 18 Replies

If you've ever been involved in or had a home birth I would like to hear your experiences. 

I'm debating having a home birth...

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
One-n-Counting
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:13 PM

BUMP!

Bren07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:14 PM

never had one...bump for ya..

housefullofkidz
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:15 PM

BUMP!

Forget-me-not
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:15 PM

In my siggy there is a natural pregnancy group we have lots of women who have had homebirths and even unassisted births.

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 14, Abby 9 and my intact  Liam who is 1. We cloth diaper, treat our family naturally, ERF, EBF, birth narurally, co-sleep and try to tread lightly.

CjEmmemommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I haven't been in or had one but I am planning one with this baby.. If you have any more specific questions I have learned a lot but haven't done it yet:-)

Erica

Hrivera5
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:18 PM

I am planning my first.  Check out the natural group that Forget-Me-Not suggested and also Birth is Normal.  Also, you should look for a homebirth midwife in your area.  Meeting with mine answered many questions I had and really put my mind (and my husband's) at ease.

Best of luck to you!

ttaylor1998
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Had one, loved it & would do it again in a heartbeat. ;)

I have 2 videos on my profile page.

maybebaby83
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:22 PM

wheres doulala??? she can give you lots of advice im sure!

One-n-Counting
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I just have to put out there that my sons labor was a horrifying experience. My husband at that time was in the military and my midwife was practically a drill sergeant .   

My concerns/questions: 

1. My labor with my son almost went to 42 weeks but was induced by an enema and then later I was given pit. If my body doesn't start labor naturally again how does a midwife deal with that? 

2. I read a lot on natural labor and did what I consider very good for 20 something hours without pain meds. However my midwife yelled at my to stay calm when I was simply breathing threw a contraction.  (I did get the epi at 30 hours into labor)

Maybe my expectations are high but I want a comforting midwife that keeps telling me I can do it. I don't want someone thats going to just check on me I want my midwifes advice and support threw out the entire labor process. 

3. My son had a bowel movement in utero (sp?) and was taken from me to test his lungs and what not. How is that situation handled at a home birth? 

4. This ones kinda silly...  but after labor does the midwife help clean up the mess or is it left for my husband and I? 

Danotoyou2
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Quoting One-n-Counting:

I just have to put out there that my sons labor was a horrifying experience. My husband at that time was in the military and my midwife was practically a drill sergeant .   

My concerns/questions: 

1. My labor with my son almost went to 42 weeks but was induced by an enema and then later I was given pit. If my body doesn't start labor naturally again how does a midwife deal with that? 

Your labor didn't start naturally... yet. But it would have. Both of my babies were born at 42 weeks, when labor kicked in naturally. 97% of women will go into labor within this time frame, and most midwives will just monitor your health and the baby's health to make sure everyone is okay. 

2. I read a lot on natural labor and did what I consider very good for 20 something hours without pain meds. However my midwife yelled at my to stay calm when I was simply breathing threw a contraction.  (I did get the epi at 30 hours into labor)

That's awful that she yelled at you! Deep moans, breathing and relaxing my jaw muscle are what got me through labor. 

Maybe my expectations are high but I want a comforting midwife that keeps telling me I can do it. I don't want someone thats going to just check on me I want my midwifes advice and support threw out the entire labor process. 

I think that a doula would be something you'd need. Sometimes a midwife, especially during early labor, will need to go check on another mama, or take care of other business. But a doula is there to support YOU, and tell you these things. 

Not ALL midwives are the type to hold your hand, but some are. It just depends on the personality.

The midwife I had for my homebirth wasn't, so she made it a requirement to have a doula there (who was wonderful). 

3. My son had a bowel movement in utero (sp?) and was taken from me to test his lungs and what not. How is that situation handled at a home birth? 

Most midwives will just monitor the situation. If baby is having trouble breathing, then a trip to the hospital may be in order. But most of the time, even if there's meconium present, the baby is just fine. 

4. This ones kinda silly...  but after labor does the midwife help clean up the mess or is it left for my husband and I? 

Midwives will clean up. They'll typically do the 'birth laundry,' (towels and things that were used), clean up the other obvious stuff, and some midwives will even make your after-birth meal. How cool is that?!

Mom to Evan & Andre, the Tantrum Duo, Organizer of CWCB Fabric Co-op, and WAHM behind Clover Hill Crafts!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)