Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Marijuana consumption by pregnant women may reduce infant mortality rate - more study needed

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM
  • 136 Replies

Have you guys read about this??

The breakdown:

A total of 2,964 babies were drug-tested at birth to see if they were positive for drugs – cocaine, opioids or cannabis were studied. 44% of the infants tested positive for all varieties of drugs, including the 3 being studied. During the first two years of their lives, 44 babies from the original group died. Since statistics are a drag to slog through, I’ll cut right to the chase – the deaths per thousand live births – the numbers tell the story.

“No drugs at birth” deaths……. 15.7 deaths per 1000 live births

“Cocaine positive” deaths…….17.7 deaths per 1000 live births

“Opiate positive” deaths…….18.4 deaths per 1000 live births

“Cannabis positive” deaths…. 8.9 deaths per 1000 live births [5]

The cocaine and opiate babies have a higher death rate than the “No drugs” babies – that was to be expected. But look at the “cannabis” babies! Having extra cannabinoids in their bodies at birth (and likely later, from 2nd-hand exposure, or breast milk) seems to have some sort of a protective effect. The “cannabis” infants have a mortality rate almost half of what the “No drugs” infants have!

READ MORE HERE - http://www.salem-news.com/articles/june272010/marijuana-infants-sc.php

and HERE - http://stash.norml.org/marijuana-consumption-by-pregnant-women-may-reduce-infant-mortality-more-study-needed

haha...I couldn't resist. 

This is another study performed in Jamaica with equally startling results. This one is done specifically with women who used different amount of marijuana and follows the children through the years to see how it effected them. 

by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LonnaG
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Thanks for sharing! Thats so interesting!

sarasloveable
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM
Hmm. . . gives one something to think about
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEKA21
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 11:00 AM
Pass the dutchie. Lol I will say it calms u so nooo stress levels. But I don't smoke weed maybe I should if that's the case lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allie01
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 11:00 AM

That is interesting, I should read more because I wonder what they are thinking is the reason for this??

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2010 at 11:00 AM

I believe it.

AmericanMama07
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM

i smoked through my entire first trimester and half my second. I do have to say that it IS a stress reliever. Also helps alot with morning sickness. I had a hard time keeping my prenatals down, so i would take a hit or two off a cyclone (kinda like a joint) after taking them and my stomach would settle letting me keep them, and whatever i ate down. 

I had three miscarriages before this pregnancy. each one of those i STOPPED smoking right when i found out i was pregnant. but not with this one. and this one stuck. i think it has to do alot with stress. 

I eneded up quiting (semi. ill take one hit off my husbands every blue moon) because im already super tired this trimester and smoking just makes it worse. so, but i do know that i will go back to doing it after the baby is born. And i do have a plan to breastfeed. 

I have a med. card for it, so im completely legal to have it. and with that i know im not getting "street weed". you never know what people can do with their weed!

this was very interesting though. thanks for sharing!

maybebaby83
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I wouldn't do it.

JazzysWifey
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM
Interesting but I've never smoked and never will
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Honeybun09
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Quoting maybebaby83:

I wouldn't do it.

Pregnancy Ticker

arianna24
by on Nov. 14, 2010 at 11:53 AM

wow... I wonder how this is scientifically true? I'd like to know what it is about the cannibis that may prevent deaths at birth! Interesting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured