Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnant and coughing up yellow/green mucus

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 9:43 AM
  • 7 Replies
I feel terrible. I haven't called my OB because we are currently across state visiting family and I have no way to get a prescription for anything out here. I hate ERs. I'm thinking I have an upper respiratory infection. Anyone know an over the counter I can safely take until I get back home Tuesday and can see my OB?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mommyuphold
by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I have had a cough with mucus for a month now... I have been on antibiotics and everything else under the sun. Robitussin is good. But nothing is helping me.

mswaz
by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 10:29 AM
I've been sick and currently 37 weeks. My doc said nasal rinses and robitussen. If your blood pressure is good sudafed. Other then that I drink lots of tea and hot showers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ForeverInLove
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2010 at 10:33 AM
If you are coughing it up and you aren't having any trouble breathing, then don't worry about it right now.
Just drink plenty of water. You can even drink warm liquids to help keep it loosened so it keeps coming up. It's a dry cough you want to worry about. Wet/mucousy cough means it's not settling and therefore you shouldn't need to worry about bronchitis or pneumonia. If the cough has blood in it as well, or you find yourself unable to cath your breath while coughing, then you need to be seen.

I believe that mucinex is safe to take while pregnant, as is sudafed but sudafed is meant for nasal congestion.

Plain robitussin, not the cf or dm, but regular robitussin is fine as well. Only, you WANT to cough to get the crap out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ForeverInLove
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2010 at 10:35 AM
Also, when places say you have an upper respitory infection, it is most commonly lamens terms for a cold. Just a simple cold. All other things are referred to as what they are such as bronchitis or pneumonia. Don't let them prescribe you antibiotics for a cold... It only contributes to all drug resistant bacterias and viruses. Antivirals don't even do anything. They will not make a cold go away faster. It's proven.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smileyashmommy
by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I'm sick too.  Actually I have viral laryngitis.  According to my OB there are no cough suppressants that we can take.  Only the expectorants that are in plain robitussin and plain mucinex.  Also use a humidifier and/or steam.  Just do your best to cough everything up.  My illness is only supposed to last 7-10 days...I'm so hoping they are right.  Hope you feel better soon.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Dec. 4, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I would try taking a warm shower to help clear the congestion.  I hope you feel better!

..Lucky..
by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I agree. Hope it works!

Quoting meam4444:

I would try taking a warm shower to help clear the congestion.  I hope you feel better!

BabyFruit Ticker

Click Below To Join The Pregnancy Group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured