Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Glyburide

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 3:02 AM
  • 7 Replies

I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes earlier on in my pregnancy, had it with my last one too.  My sugars had been doing well with diet, but today at my appointment Doctor decided to put me on medication saying my levels were a little unsteady but fairly good, which makes no sense at all to me cause they were the same as the last appointment I had but maybe since my pregnancy is getting closer to the end he decided this, anyways he put me on Glyburide 5 mg once a day and I do not like taking new medications at all, not knowing side effects and what not.  Well this one says it can cause low blood sugars and my concern is there are times my sugar levels are as low as 85 during the day and the highest would be 160-180 very rarely, so I'm wondering if anyone else has been on this and what their experience was, I am worried my levels are going to drop too low, so do I take it and eat religiously or decide to not take it at all.  At this point I am going to take it but I'm worried, any input would be appreciated!

by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 3:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
evansmommy03
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 8:01 AM

BUMP!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Dec. 7, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Here is a bump for you.  Hope someone is able to help you out.

bcbmami
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 10:03 AM

BUMP!

maryo630
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I was prescribed this but  something told me not to take it.    I was concerned with it lowering my blood sugar like you.

. My insurance only covers a cheap rite aid brand meter and for a few weeks i was getting numbers all over that just didn't make sense to me. My fast in the mornings were high , i would practically starve myself and they were still high. So, Instead of taking the medicine , i bought a new meter and strips i pay out of pocket to see if that was the problem.

Sure enough , that was the problem. The meter.   I'm glad i didn't take the medicine because i really didn't need it.

NewMoxy
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I had to seriously watch my levels as well.  I would not go higher than 160-180 myself.  I have only been on this stuff for a couple months and am already noticing the side effects of glyburide.  What did your doctor tell you at your appointment?

mommytomyloves
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I have to take it two times a day my #s are 120-180 off and my fasting was 110 off but now on the meds my fasting is 80-85 and my #s in the day are 120 all of the time. I am so glad i got put on it my baby was getting way to much sugar my u/s yeasterday she is 6lbs and i am only 32 weeks and the doc. said said at 32 weeks see should only be 4lbs. so i need the meds to keep my baby girl ok. i do not want her sick and in the nicu.

orangeshirt
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Ultrasounds are not accurate for determining weight.

Quoting mommytomyloves:

I have to take it two times a day my #s are 120-180 off and my fasting was 110 off but now on the meds my fasting is 80-85 and my #s in the day are 120 all of the time. I am so glad i got put on it my baby was getting way to much sugar my u/s yeasterday she is 6lbs and i am only 32 weeks and the doc. said said at 32 weeks see should only be 4lbs. so i need the meds to keep my baby girl ok. i do not want her sick and in the nicu.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)