Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Glucose Test Questions

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:07 AM
  • 20 Replies

Ok so I took the test a little late I was 30weeks when I took the test and took it at the end of the day.  Also we took my blood about 5-10 early.  Needless to say I didnt pass, but only by ONE point!!!  So they want me to do the 3 hour test but were really very lax about it.  She was just like yeah I think Im gunna have you do it.  But then didnt really tell me how to do the test either.

I am over weight, but have not gain much during this pregnancy, She is measureing on the bigger side but so did my son.  And my urine has been very clean the whole time. 

So my questions are

How faralong were you when you took your first test and at what time of day and did you fast? 

Did/Do you have GD

How was your 3 hr. test  How did you deal with the hunger?

Or anything else you can give me for info

THANKS LADIES

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
evansmommy03
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Here is a bump I just took my one hour yesterday so no results yet.

audreyr526
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I was about 25/26  weeks when I had my glucose test - and it was first thing in the morning. I didn't have to fast, just didn't eat anything sugary the night before or the morning of. I don't have GD, but I was on the verge of it.  Didn't have to take the 3 hour test myself either, so I'm no help on that.

peanutroaster
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Last pregnancy I was 15 weeks and had GD. I took the 3 hour test first thing in the morning, it is easier believe me. I was only 7 weeks this pregnancy and already have GD this time. I have a very low sugar tolerance so no fruit at all.....crappy deal for me! Drink a lot of water and bring something to eat so that you have something as soon as your are done...because you will definitely feel like doo doo after wards. Good luck...

ISAIAHMOM632007
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:44 AM
I took it at 27 weeks, do have GD, the hunger was hard but you be ok, its only 12 hours and most of that is sleeping hours, time of day doesn't matter its about your blood sugars, if there higher then the baby can get to big, I recommend taking the test just to be sure. If not caught baby can be born with low blood sugars once the cord is cut and no longer has all your higher blood sugars. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2the.rescue
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I don't remember what week I was when I had my 1 hr...but I only fasted 4 hrs before the test...I had sugary cereal & coffee for breakfast that morning lol.  I failed miserably.  I took my 3 hr test & had to follow a diet where I ate an extra sweet & a carb for every meal...the 1st day was great b/c I love sweets & carbs...by the 2nd & 3rd day (the diet is for 3 days b4 the test) were crappy b/c I didn't want to eat more.  Then I had to fast for I think 12 hrs.  I passed each blood draw with flying colors & had a bag of pretzels waiting in the car for me.  I was mad at my doc for telling me I only had to fast for 4 hrs for my 1 hr, and I had called & told them well maybe I failed b/c of my frosted mini wheats, they said no.  Well they were wrong.

DisneyMom929
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Im kinda thinking about asking if I can retake the reg test any thoughts

DisneyMom929
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM

BUMP!

sugareemommee
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I just had my three hour on Tuesday and passed.  I'm 29 weeks.  My level on the one hour was 153, so a little higher than yours, I was 27 weeks then.  My OB said if it was only a point or two over he wouldn't have done the three hour, so I can see why they're being lax.  I actually wasn't hungry after fasting, I was nauseated.  I didn't eat since 7 pm the night before, and no water after midnight.. so when I woke up I had a headache, and was a little shaky.  I thought I was going to have a hard time with the test but it went by fairly fast and after I drank the 100 mg drink I couldn't even THINK about food.. it was like a major sugar rush.  SO!  I'm sure you'll be fine since you were only a point over, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do, seems silly to go through all that bloodwork for a point..

doulala
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Quoting DisneyMom929:

Im kinda thinking about asking if I can retake the reg test any thoughts

If you want to then you can ask.      I don't take any of these in my pregnancies because there is no reason.    If you feel that way then say no thanks altogether, your choice.

;-)

"If you don't know your options you don't have any"          ~Korte & Scaer

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."    
           ~Rush

BethRae
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:24 PM

With my daughter I took the test at 28 weeks. I did the test in the morning I think and I didn't fast for the first test. I failed it and had to do the 3 hour test. Well I took that one as soon as they opened and I did have to fast for that test. Luckily for me I wasn't very hungry so it didn't have any affect on me. I turned out to have gestational diabetes. So this time my dr tested me at 12 weeks and I just had to take the first one. I didn't have to fast for it but I also took that one in the morning. I even had lucky charms prior to it and still passed. I have to retest around 28 weeks.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)