Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question regarding pregnancy dates

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:43 AM
  • 11 Replies

Ok, so I have a question regarding pregnancy dates. According to everything I've read, the doctor does NOT go by your conception date, but the date of your last period. Correct? I still don't get why they do that, (all the websites about it say its confusing, but that's what they do).

If I go by my last period, then I am 7 weeks, 2 days along. If I go by my actual conception date (yea, I know what it is) I am 4 weeks, 2 days along. I have my first ultrasound tomorrow. The doc said, "You'll be almost 8 weeks so its a good time to do the first to make sure we're on the right course." They asked me when my last period was to determine that, not my conception date.

Is this the case? Does that mean for others on here who are due in July like I am, and had an ultrasound at roughly 8 weeks, that it goes by the date of your last period, and therefore you are around 8 weeks pregnant? So for those of you who had it at around 8 weeks, and can see a body, maybe arms, maybe eyes, and heard a heartbeat, that's what I can expect?

Or does it go by conception date, and really at just 4 weeks along, I am lucky if I will see a yolk sac and I shouldn't expect to hear anything?

This is all so CONFUSING! My dh doesn't get it either. I'm scared for this first ultrasound (its my first pregnancy and I don't know what to expect), so I want to get an idea of what is correct, and what I should expect.

Thanks!

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmilyKC
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Yes, they go by the date of your last period.  I also dont know why they do that. 

One of my favorite sayings (by doctors) is ''every pregnancy is different" but yet why do they treat us all the same???????

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Doctor's go by LMP because most don't know their actual conception date.  But monst women know their LMP.  So, technically, you are not pregnant the first 2 weeks you're pregnant...lol.  Your EDD is 40 from your LMP.  Like right now, I'm 11 wks but my baby is technically only 9 wks (approximately).  At roughly 20 wks you will have an u/s and the dr will measure the baby and adjust the EDD if needed.  You can tell him/her you know the conception date but most likely they won't change anything.  PM if you need anything else!

Ravens_Blossom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:48 AM

They go by the date of your last period, at least until the first ultra sound.  Its not always easy to "know" the conception date.  They add a few extra weeks in the mix doing it that way.  From last period till due date is 40 weeks.  When you have your ultra sound, they will most likely measure baby and re-estimate of due date. 

When I went to my first appointment, they estimated June 1st.  After my ultra sound, they moved it back to June 15th.

Broccolieatme
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Ok, for those who had ultrasounds around 7.5 - 8 weeks, what did you see/hear? I know its a transvaginal, and according to the websites, I should be able to hear the heartbeat, and see a little bean with some recognizable body features, like arms, or arm stubbs, maybe eyes. Is this true?

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Check out this website.  Should give you an idea of what you'll expect to see.  You will most likely hear the heartbeat as well. 

http://3dpregnancy.parentsconnect.com/

Quoting Broccolieatme:

Ok, for those who had ultrasounds around 7.5 - 8 weeks, what did you see/hear? I know its a transvaginal, and according to the websites, I should be able to hear the heartbeat, and see a little bean with some recognizable body features, like arms, or arm stubbs, maybe eyes. Is this true?

Broccolieatme
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Cool, thanks!

teachmichele825
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM

It goes by the first day of your last period. So at "conception" you are actually in week 2.5 of your pregnancy.

Aquafeena
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:16 PM
I am also due join july and according to my last period I should have been 8w at the time of u/s but the baby only measured 7w all we saw on the u/s was a bean shaped spot with a flickering heart beat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JazzysWifey
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:39 PM
Or exactly 2 weeks if you have a 28 day cycle and conceived on day 14

Quoting teachmichele825:

It goes by the first day of your last period. So at "conception" you are actually in week 2.5 of your pregnancy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
operagirlie
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:46 PM

You hear a heartbeat, which is always a big relief and you see arms, legs, body,head,  or rather the technician will tell you that's what you're looking at :) My due date stayed exactly the same. I don't know why they do it either it seems really confusing! Best of luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)