Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone heard of a sinus in the placenta?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:54 PM
  • 8 Replies

At my 23 week doctor's appointment the other day, my doctor found an open pocket/cavity in my placenta (he called it a sinus). He referred me to another doctor to get another ultrasound, but he told me I should not be worried. He said it may be a twin that didn't develop?

I'm just curious to see if anyone has had this or has heard of this, and what the outcome was.
I have my appointment next week but I CAN NOT find any info anywhere!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Brina_88
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:02 PM
Bump
JaimieLynn8
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Another bump... :(

fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:21 PM
My husband is doing a L&D rotation this month. If you don't get an answer I will ask him when he gets home tonight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Des10ed2b
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:23 PM

sinus's are everywhere. your milk ducts on your breasts are sinus's, we all know about nasal sinus's. It basically just a term used to refer to any crack or open pocket that a fluid can come out of. I wouldnt worry about it too much.

GreatestMiracle
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I have heard of marginal sinuses of the placenta, which help attach the membranes to the placenta, so thought we all had? In some women, I do know, they are larger though and can cause bleeding later in the pregnancy so they just watch you more...at least that is what I thought. But I am in no way an expert on this...sorry!

JaimieLynn8
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM

BUMP!

fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:28 PM
DH said a sinus is a blanket statement. It could really mean anything from a shadow on the ultrasound to a serious problem so if your OB said not to worry than mostlilkey its nothing but they just want to double check to be certain.

Quoting fatcat0908:

My husband is doing a L&D rotation this month. If you don't get an answer I will ask him when he gets home tonight.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaimieLynn8
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Quoting fatcat0908:

DH said a sinus is a blanket statement. It could really mean anything from a shadow on the ultrasound to a serious problem so if your OB said not to worry than mostlilkey its nothing but they just want to double check to be certain.

Quoting fatcat0908:

Thank you! I am going in for another ultrasound next week, and will see what we can find out then.
I'm just very curious as to what it is or what caused it, when my OB said it could've been a twin that didn't develop, I really want to know if that could be the case! I would be a little heartbroken honestly.
He said I shouldn't be concerned with it just because the baby is developing perfectly and is right where he should be as far as growth progress. I just thought it was strange, he has been an ob/gyn for at least 25 years and acted like he'd never seen one before, so my curiousity is pretty high just because I can't research it!
Thank you for asking your hubby! I will have to update if they know what it is. I'm just curious if it could potentially become a problem!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)