Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Moms (and dads) Do you think this is a good idea?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:16 PM
  • 5 Replies

Life-sized Cardboard Dad Stands in for the Real Thing?

Posted by Kim Conte
on December 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM

flat daddiesIf a mommy or daddy service member has to be away from their families for long periods of time, is a cardboard cutout of them the next best thing?

That's exactly the thinking behind Flat Daddies, a life-sized, two-dimensional poster that absent parents can give to their children as a reminder that they love them even when they are away.

It sounds a little sentimental -- that is until you read the testimonials from families who have purchased them on the Flat Daddies site, like this one:

Maliah loves waking up every morning to say hello to her daddy. This is the only way she knows him, since he was only home for her birth.

I think I may be in love with this idea. What do you think?

BabyFruit Ticker

Click Below To Join The Pregnancy Group!

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Megan.Aber
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM
Ugh. Idk. I just show my son pictures and we skype when we can, DH is in the army so he's gone a lot an missed his sons birth, but skype works for us. I honestly think DH would be creeped out by it.
elliesmommy404
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Totally, I would love one of these. My husband isn't in the military though, but fyi, it's more than military that has jobs that take them away from their families more often than with them. I'll never forget when DD was real young and DH came home from being out and she didn't know him and was scared. He is out for 7days and home for 3days (usually). Even at 20months old it clearly breaks her little heart when he leaves. When he's home she doesn't sleep out of fear he'll leave before she wakes up, and if he so much as opens the front door she freaks out.

glamorous_mami
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:38 PM

ummm i think id rather stick with the dolls that they have.

metallicakh39
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM
Yeah I think I like my daughters daddy doll better
Ohio.SAHMof2
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:01 AM
As a military brat I wouldn't of wanted it. I think my brother and I would be a little weirded out if my mom brought something like that home. We didn't have skype or anything like that. When my dad was in the military we got letters and didn't get to talk to him forever. Especially on cruises.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)