Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Prison Outlet Store... Would you buy something an inmate made?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:21 PM
  • 22 Replies

Give a Gift Made by a Crafty Convict

Posted by Brittny Drye
on December 9, 2010 at 10:22 AM

inmate jewelry boxIf you're wondering what to get dear old Aunt Edna for Christmas, here's an idea. How about a hand-crafted wooden jewelry box or copper purse?

Made by an inmate

In Arizona, there is a special Prison Outlet store that sells "a wide range of arts & crafts produced by inmates incarcerated in Arizona including extremely high quality items made exclusively for the store in our metal and wood fabrication facilities in the State Prison across the street."

It's like an inmate Etsy!

And if you see something that you really love, you even know where to find the (con) artist.

These hand-crafted boxes ($25) are a great place to store expensive jewelry. And they don't even necessarily look like jewelry boxes, so it could be misleading to any burglars! Oh wait ...

wooden quail

Just think, a prisoner had to construct these wooden quails ($15) from pure memory, reminding us to appreciate having the ability to view nature. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to whittle wood with shackled hands.

copper purse

I'm not sure how efficient a copper purse ($35-$60) would be (who wants to bet a male constructed it?), but I think it's safe to assume that a rapist was not behind the makings of this one. If he went back to his sick ways, he wouldn't want a bunch of women carrying around copper purses -- that's a friggin' weapon.

keychains

These large western-themed key chains ($7.50) make it really easy for someone to grab them out of your purse you to find them in your purse.

All jokes aside, this is actually a really great idea. It keeps the prisoners out of trouble while they're in there and gives them marketable skills for when they're released into the real world. The proceeds from the products are divided between the inmate and a victims' rights group. Plus, the prisoners that participate in this Martha Stewart-like program (heh) have a 30-percent less chance of returning to prison. Everyone wins!

Would you ever buy a product made from an inmate?

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilmami316
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:22 PM

BUMP!

AnitaVersion2.0
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Sure, why not?

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM

My Hubby works for a correctional facility and talks about the amazing talents of these prisoners. I always am in aww and generally question why such men with such talents just through it all away! But to answer you question yes I would. Inmtes have made birthday gifts, baby shoower gifts and more for the officers in the past. There wood working skills are extremely amazing too!

Maddape48854
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Keep 'em busy, keep 'em out of trouble!

JuliaMae87
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Yes

redmamaof5
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:26 PM

yeah those are neat! and not all inmates are terrible people and they need themoney to provide soap, shampoo and general stuff.

JenniL05
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Hey it beats them sitting around doing nothing plus some of the proceeds go to a victim's rights group. Sounds like a win/win to me. :P

danielle9705
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:29 PM
yes i would
Bren07
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:29 PM

yep i would, those are way cute..they have to make money to pay back the prison and their restitution n such. every inmate has a job. some even are telemarketers that u might give ur credit card info to. u never know..and besides they are learning skills and trades they can use when they get out of prison (if they get out)..

CarolinaMom2006
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:30 PM

yes

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN