Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dilating - how long? PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:40 AM
  • 7 Replies

I know every woman and every pregnancy is different, but I was just curious...

Whether this pregnancy or prior ones, how long did it take for you to go from 1cm dilated to a 3 - 4 or even 5?

Can it happen "overnight" (not literally, but I mean within a 1 day time frame) or is that not possible?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
chamelinmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:42 AM

with my oldest i lost my plug then a day or 2 later i had her.so i dont know how long i was dialated
my second i was 1cm for a month
my 3rd, i was 1cm for 2weeks then 3.5cm for 2-3 weeks before i went into active labor

DessC
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:44 AM

last pregnancy i walked around dialeted to 3cm for the last 6 weeks or my pregnancy. my first pregnancy it took about 5 hours to go from 1 to 5cm

kirasmommy7
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:52 AM

I would think so. I went to the hospital the day before i had my son, and at 4pm when they checked me for the last time to make sure i didnt randomly dilate more, i was at a 2..by 7am the next day, i was a 5-6.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:33 PM

With two of my pregnancies I was either a 1 or nothing until I went into labor.  With my second pregnancy, I was a 1 for quite some time, and then randomly I hopped up to a 3 (it happened over a weekend).  I have never been more than a 3 before labor though.  My fastest labor, I was barely a one at the beginning, and then I hopped up to a 4 real fast...then the rest came with hard labor.  Good luck!

doulala
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Of course.   :-)

You can dilate much faster, even.
(Some moms will get there & deliver in 40 minutes.
And some moms walk around dilated to 4 or 5 cm for months.)

I don't get checked because there is no point~   
But not only is it an unnecessary intervention, it can be very dangerous, too.

You might consider trying to forget what your cervix is doing & avoid more checks.

Good luck!

audreyr526
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM
I personally like to know if I've dilated and progressed. I know I can deny all checks, etc but I like to know
audreyr526
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:32 PM
And as of today I've lost a lot of my mucus plug and ever since have had a LOT of pressure & pain, especially when walking.... So hopefully it means something now for me **yes I know already that losing the mucus plug doesn't always mean anything so no need to tell me this**
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)