Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are American Woman out of touch with the Reality of Birth Facilities?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:28 AM
  • 51 Replies

http://blogs.babble.com/being-pregnant/2011/02/09/are-american-women-out-of-touch-with-the-reality-of-childbirth-facilities/

In the one week following the premier of One Born Every Minute, I heard a lot of criticism of the couple who made the decision to have a natural childbirth in a hospital setting. Most comments I came across called them rude, and out of touch with reality… even as far as accusing them of purposely trying to harm their baby by not listening to their nurse.

But what bothered me most was the comment that this couple was that so many people felt they had no business in the hospital, throwing around statements like, “They should have had a home birth,”  or “Why didn’t they just go to a birth center?”

Well, there is an easy answer for that question that American women don’t seem to know. These options are not available to all women across the country. In fact, in that area of Ohio, there is no birth center, and midwifery care for home birth is also scarce.

Susan, the natural birth mother featured in the episode of One Born Every Minute was actually  interviewed after the episode, by The Feminist Breeder, and that was one of the questions answered.  Susan said:

First of all, there are no birth centers in Columbus, and several homebirth midwives, but only one homebirth midwife practice that has a physician ‘back-up’ (which just felt responsible to me).  But, NO insurance locally covers homebirthing, so at first, it was an economical decision.  Later in my pregnancy, after we began taking NCB classes, we decided that our next baby would be at home, but there was also a measure of comfort in doing the first at the hospital, since I had no idea what to expect.

After research of my own, I decided to see really how many states have no options for out of hospital births, whether it be in a childbirth center, or at home.

First birth centers… Our of the 51 states in The United States, only excluding Puerto Rico, there are 19 states with no freestanding birth center option. Those states being:

You have to click on the link for the rest of the article including legality of home birth in states, it is a copyright violation for me to post the whole thing.

Cloth Diapering, Selective Vaccinating, Breastfeeding Advocate who Formula Fed, Work at Home Mom, Professional Blogger, Social Media Director, Childbirth Educator, Doula, Mother to Camden, and Benjamin.

Pregnancy Ticker

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM

thank you

CTRedSoxMom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM

No problem!  I was getting REALLY annoyed at women saying... Oh well that couple should have done this, or gone there and done that...

NOT ALL OPTIONS are AVAILABLE to all women in this country and placing the blame on a woman who just wants to be left alone while she is laboring is horrible.

CTRedSoxMom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM

BUMP!

abra
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM
Yeah, I watched the episode online. It was fine. I mean, she still had a healthy baby. If I were her, I would have tried to get the staff more on my side by maybe not being so bossy, but otherwise...i thought it was fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chamelinmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:33 PM

its sad how our country has got to the point where women were farmed. meaning you go in the hospital  have the baby their way and then they herd you out. My first i went to a huge birthing hospital. No option for birthing or laboring in any tubs or anything. I was in labor and they were forcing an eperdural after i told them no and dont ask me again. they send nurses right durring a contraction and talking to me isnt this so painful, you would feel so much better with meds and this that and the other. i learned a little better with my 2,and 3rd.

doulala
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Quoting chamelinmom:

its sad how our country has got to the point where women were farmed. meaning you go in the hospital  have the baby their way and then they herd you out.

I have compared it to an assembly-line, lol.
Streamlined for convenience like a Burger King drive-thru.
  Too bad we're paying top dollar for Grade-A steaks, though.

Should we agree to all the opinions-suggestions-recommendations of hospital staff??
I think we should question them, consider them, take them in to account as we see how it benefits our situation.

Because of the kind of care women receive in hospitals, it seems really important to investigate whether a nurse (doctor, midwife) is working to help the family achieve their preferences, wants to put their health & happiness first, has the same priorities as the parents.

And that is pretty ridiculous to say that if you want a natural birth stay out of the hospital.
While this is logical and a great idea, lol, it's unfair, too!
If we choose (or "must have") a hospital birth we are choosing a medicated-intervened-less safe birth?
Shouldn't have to be!

If you don't know your options, you don't have any.           ~Korte & Scaer

Mothers need to know that their care and their choices won't be compromised by birth politics.                                                                                            ~Jennifer Rosenberg

Midwives see birth as a miracle and only mess with it if there's a problem;
doctors see birth as a problem and if they don't mess with it, it's a miracle!     
~Barbara Harper

CTRedSoxMom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM

It is sad that nurses feel the need to pressure and harass women like that. But I am sure it is part of their "job" since epidural's are big money makers for hospitals.

Quoting chamelinmom:

its sad how our country has got to the point where women were farmed. meaning you go in the hospital  have the baby their way and then they herd you out. My first i went to a huge birthing hospital. No option for birthing or laboring in any tubs or anything. I was in labor and they were forcing an eperdural after i told them no and dont ask me again. they send nurses right durring a contraction and talking to me isnt this so painful, you would feel so much better with meds and this that and the other. i learned a little better with my 2,and 3rd.

Cloth Diapering, Selective Vaccinating, Breastfeeding Advocate who Formula Fed, Work at Home Mom, Professional Blogger, Social Media Director, Childbirth Educator, Doula, Mother to Camden, and Benjamin.

Pregnancy Ticker

CTRedSoxMom
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:41 PM

BUMP!

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:09 PM

I agree completely. I just have one thing to say though. What is the 51st state? Did I miss something? When I was in high school there were only 50 states.

CTRedSoxMom
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Including DC and Puerto Rico it is 52.

The 51st is Washington DC, separate from Virgina.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

I agree completely. I just have one thing to say though. What is the 51st state? Did I miss something? When I was in high school there were only 50 states.

Pregnancy Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)