Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Abnormal amounts of fluid on fetal kidneys?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM
  • 6 Replies

Anyone know or have experience with this? At my anatomy ultrasound they found an abnormal amount of fluid on the baby's kidneys. I have a 2nd level US on the 21st of this month but would love to hear personal stories about this. I have looked it up and have an idea what it could mean.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JADIEBUG
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM

BUMP!

DessC
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM

BUMP!

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Usually it is caused a blockage. Sometimes it will resolve itself before birth other times it won't. Do you know your baby's gender?

Boys commonly have what is called posterior urethral valves, which is an obstructing membrane in the posterior male urethra. It is VERY common. My oldest son had it and had to have a minor surgery to repair it. He has mild kidney disease but it is easily controlled with medicine and nutrition.

JADIEBUG
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:51 AM

It is a boy. My 3 year son had Hypospadias(where the urethra opening is on the underside of the penis and not the tip) when he was born...So we were wondering if it is going to be a repeat of that on this boy. That surgery was not fun but at least we would know all about it.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Usually it is caused a blockage. Sometimes it will resolve itself before birth other times it won't. Do you know your baby's gender?

Boys commonly have what is called posterior urethral valves, which is an obstructing membrane in the posterior male urethra. It is VERY common. My oldest son had it and had to have a minor surgery to repair it. He has mild kidney disease but it is easily controlled with medicine and nutrition.

Megan.Aber
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM
I'm having a girl and was told something similar. Idk what it means but it scared me. I have another u/s around the 1st.
JaimieLynn8
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM
I'm 32 weeks pregnant with a boy, and at a 24 week ultrasound they found extra fluid in his kidneys, they called it kidney reflux.
Typically they say it's fairly common and almost always in only boys, but they say it's from not emptying their bladder all the way.
Do you remember how much fluid was in each kidney, my son had about 6mm in each and they said it's more than normal but still in the mild range.

I have another ultrasound at 36 weeks, to check the levels to see if it has resolved itself. If it has, no reason to worry. If it hasn't, the pediatrician will handle it once the baby is born, and will probably just have to drain it.

While baby is in the womb, it is NOT an issue since he is in a sterile environment. It's only a cause for concern once he's born since that's when infection can start but that's why they keep an eye on it! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)