Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding and reflux

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

I had my daughter Gracelyne on Dec. 4, 2010. Immediately after birth I breastfed. Then the nurses took her for her bath, etc. They brought her back to me and no sooner had the nurse left the room then she spit up large gobs of phlegmy looking stuff and milk. She quit breathing and turned blue. She continued spitting up large amounts during the hospital stay, but never quit breathing again. The nurses and ped assured me it was only where she had been born so fast and had swallowed alot of amniotic fluid. I continued breastfeeding, but the frequent spitting up (like 5-6 times between feedings) continued. When she was a week old we had a bad incident of projectile vomiting in which it came out her nose and everything and she quit breathing again. I've tried eliminating things out of my diet but nothing has seemed to make a difference. Her ped reccommended Enfamil AR and she has done somewhat better on it. She is gaining weight really good (6 lb 5.5 oz at birth and now 10 lb 10 oz last week at 2 month check up) so the ped says he doesn't reccommend any meds though he does think she has reflux. I brought up her 'quit breathing when projectile vomiting' which she has done about 6 times since birth and he says she's just adjusting and will outgrow it. She also makes these really weird 'squeaky/whiny' noises when she just spits up like it's trying to take her breath. I'm petrified after every feeding. Like I said, she is doing somewhat better on the Enfamil AR, but she still spits up more than normal and makes those noises and has still had the occassional projectile vomit even on the formula. I am still breastfeeding her once a day to keep a small milk supply established in case she outgrows this like her ped says she will, at which time I hope to transition  back to fully breastfeeding. I keep her upright 30 minutes after feedings but she is still having problems. Has anyone else had this experience? Her ped said it wasn't common for breastfed babies to have reflux problems so I'm confused. This is my 8th baby and none of my other kids ever had reflux issues, breastfed or not. Any suggestions or reassuring experiences?

Baby sister to Jessee, Claudia, Gage, Randi, Alex, Clint, Mason and Lucas. Aunt to Brianna and Jessee Glen.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyToBeOfTwo
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:55 PM
My ds2 has severe reflux.He also may possibly have laryngomalacia.it causes squeaky noises,vomitting,choking and all kinds of other symptoms.We are heading back to the doc today bc he's been having formula out his nose for 2 days.I wanna go see the ENT to have it checked for the laryngomalacia since they have to do the test for it.GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahHasAnEvan
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Evan had reflux from day one, much like you describe. He was so uncomfortable until I switch over to formula instead of BFing and meds. We did prevacid and it really helped him. My ped explained to me that since formula is actually harder to digest, its stays down in tummy better, so that and the meds really helped. I kept BFing Evan for at least one feeding because it helped keep him from becoming constipated from the formula and meds. Its a delicate balance to find the right combo for your baby.

I'd say, if she still seems uncomfy then ask for a pediatric gastrointerologist referral from you pedi. I think the whole logic of "waiting until she grows out of it" is bunk! Why have her struggle and be uncomfortable when a different combo of things might make her better?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
"A brother is a friend given by Nature."  ~Jean Baptiste Legouve

Rlambert6002
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Thanks ladies. I will bring these things up at her next appointment. I just hate seeing her suffer and i worry about damage by the reflux as well. Thanks!

Baby sister to Jessee, Claudia, Gage, Randi, Alex, Clint, Mason and Lucas. Aunt to Brianna and Jessee Glen.

jridgill
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM

HUGS - I hope you get something figured out.

Sweet_Britt
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM

I would bring it up with your doctor that you'd really like to look into other options for her reflux!

I also think you are AWESOME for keeping up your supply, SERIOUSLY awesome. How does she do after feeding on the breast?

haymama
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM
i breastfed both of my babies and they have reflux, it runs extremely heavy in my family, my first i only nursed 4 and a half months and she was put on zantac which did nothing and then they upped it to prevacid which is what made the real difference, she was on that formula too enfamil ar, my son i nursed til closer to 7 or 8 months and he has reflux (both since born but not to the extent of ur baby) and then for the few months before turning a yr he was on that same formula also just in case u didnt know if ur dr says ur baby needs to be on that formula if u have him call or write or something ur wic office they will make the exception and give u vouchers for it at least ours did i know formula cost an arm and leg so thought u might want to know, i hope u find something to help ur lil one
truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:14 PM
First off elimination can take a month to have effect, and breastmilk is best in a reflux situation because breastmilk is living and will heal an abrasions caused by it. I would try the elimination again for longer I suggest dairy and that means all dairy look at the ingridients to see if it has dairy product soooo many things do. Then later on you can add a little back at a time. Also you can try some rice cereal at the end of the feeding to thicken I would speak to a lactation consultant and a nutritionist then tell the ped your plan
Rlambert6002
by on Feb. 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM

It seems worse after a breastfeeding. Generally she projectile vomits after every breastfeeding. With the formula she still spits up alot and occassionally projectile vomits, but with the breast it's way worse.

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

I would bring it up with your doctor that you'd really like to look into other options for her reflux!

I also think you are AWESOME for keeping up your supply, SERIOUSLY awesome. How does she do after feeding on the breast?

3boysngirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2011 at 10:34 AM

bump

Rlambert6002
by on Feb. 13, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I didn't realize it could take that long. I was told 3-5 days per elimination? I do really want to solely breastfeed her, but it is so much worse with the breastmilk and it is really scary when it happens. Her little eyes bug out and she stiffens up and stops breathing....you can tell it terrifies her when it happens. It terrifies me! Oddly, she doesn't seem to reflux at night when I breastfeed her (side lying in bed) and you would think it would be worse since she's lying down. It's odd to me. But then I've never had one with reflux before so I don't have alot of experience with it.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

First off elimination can take a month to have effect, and breastmilk is best in a reflux situation because breastmilk is living and will heal an abrasions caused by it. I would try the elimination again for longer I suggest dairy and that means all dairy look at the ingridients to see if it has dairy product soooo many things do. Then later on you can add a little back at a time. Also you can try some rice cereal at the end of the feeding to thicken I would speak to a lactation consultant and a nutritionist then tell the ped your plan

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)