Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

epidural question

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:37 PM
  • 74 Replies

people keep telling me there their labor horror stories. my SIL was telling me about when she was in labor with my nephew the epi slowed down her dilation process. and a friend of mine told me about her having an allergic reaction to the epi and others have told me about side effects like having back pains later on because of it.

now i don't know if i want the epidural or not...

what are some of your experiences with taking the epi? should i take it or not? when is a good time to take it?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
apoe
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:00 PM

i had wonderful experinces. with my first i was 7cm when i got it and 1 hr later i was pushing. with my 2nd i got my epi when i first got there for my induction. i was 4 cm when i got there and had my son 6 hrs later. i choice to get it early on because i wasnted a certin dr to do it and he was going into surgery

CTRedSoxMom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I had chronic back pain in the spot I had my first epidural. It can slow down progress... there are a lot of great resources online about the risks of epidurals.

Here is one : http://blogs.babble.com/being-pregnant/2011/02/04/are-epidurals-really-risk-free/

1_Teen_Mom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:01 PM
Mine went smooth. I got mine at 5-6CMs (can't remember) and my progression stayed the same
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirasmommy7
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Um, well....It didnt really slow me down too much, that i know of..I think i did pretty good with both of my kids. I got the epi with my daughter around 9pm, and had her at 11:19pm. With my son, i got the epi around 8 or 9am, and he was born at 1:49.

Yes, i did have some back pain after..But it wasnt anything horrendous..If i took some motrin, the pain was really dull, didnt bother me...unless i was sitting for areally long time..And the pain only lasted like 2-3 days..There was a bruise around where they put it in, and it was tender when touched..But none of the pain was horrible.

glitterwings
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:05 PM

My epidural was wonderful. I had no side effects, but that is a very personal decision. All the things you listed are possible side effects.

doulala
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Well I discourage it because we can find other, natural ways to reduce-eliminate pain without any risks.

If you do choose to have it, wait as long as possible and try to push in a position other than reclined-- like on your side.
You can request it be reduced and turned off, too, but you'll likely still be confined to the bed.

mrs.novoa09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:13 PM
there are possible side effects of course I got mine at 5cm had my son 8hrs later. But I got my first epi at 6am bout 11am it wore off so I got it again. had my son at 245pm. I had spinal headaches as a side effect. But honestly the pain was unbearable I'd do it again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileeAnn
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:14 PM
What lies .
It does not hurt I promise you and you will thank God you got it . In now way does it slow you down
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caramelmom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:16 PM
I've had 5 epidurals, one for each labor, and all of them went perfectly fine. I had no complications or side effects, and all vaginal births. I love the epi!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shani527
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:23 PM
ive had it all three times. the first two i got them right away after i labored some at home first. my first experience i was chcked and told it would be hours before i was ready to push. i was feeling my contractions (intense pressure) so asked for more. when it kicked in it was time... it was maybe 30mins later... i was frustrated bc i didnt know if i was pushing or not and the dr and nurse telling me when was frustrating. with the second i started to feel the pessure of my contraction and knew it was time to tart pushing. the r came in got all set up... and although i felt the pressure i was als ale to feel pusing him out which didnt hurt as much as goin all natural but i was glad i felt it. now with my third... i was induced. i made up my mind to hold off on the epi until the contractions started to hurt in my "almost unbearable" stage. i hit that poin and called the epi lady to get it done. thins went way faster tha ayone expecteed at that point!!! when i asked for it i was only 4cm.... while getting preped my water broke contractions were right on top of eachother and i felt everything... they kept giving me more and more and more bc i was sayin i still feel everything i dont want to feel it anymore....the lady was saying things are going really fast we are trying to catch up... i went from 4 to 10 cm in less than an hour! finally they gave me soo much and it worked but it was time to push... this time i wasnt frustrated pushing i was more like laughing aout how it all happened. lol but then i was competly numb for about 4 hours after. that sucked big time.... but it was alright. although had i had known it was almost over... and that pain as gonna be gon soon... i may not have gotten it at all... we will see with baby 4 =)
as for slowing down labor.... that was never my experience. the first two they checked me to make sure that it didnt slow thins down and they ould have given pitocin to help things along but it wasnt needed.
bck pain... none at all.
anything else i can think of... nothing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)