Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to tell your work that you are expecting ?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:00 AM
  • 9 Replies

Anyone have some tips to share about how to tell their boss that they are pregnant?

How about a little help-info-encouragement-support for Natural Birth?

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
doulala
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:02 AM

With my first it was soooo awkward!   lol

I had no idea how to tell them.  
I was newly hired and had no one (friends-family) to advise me through, lol.

I casually said to my boss, "later today I have an appointment to meet a midwife."  
She asked me "hmn, really?   Why??"  
And I said "um cause I need one."   
It felt sooo rude!   lol   But I had no clue how to do it!!

embarrassed

I could have used cafemama's advice!!!

How about a little help-info-encouragement-support for Natural Birth?

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

Starleet
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Mine figured out..had morning sickness way too badly and I popped out rather quickly lol

doulala
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:04 PM

BUMP!

shaunalynn25
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:11 PM
I'm prettty sure they had it figured it out before I told them. LOL they weren't surprised. It's the third time I've been pregnant while working there. I have been working with the same people for over seven years so there aren't many secrets. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zestforlife
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM
Last time my boss got pissed when i told him.. he hired me bcuz I was single with no children... He fired me a month later bcuz of my morning sickness...It was completely unacceptable to leave the surgical suite to vomit.. Was I supposed to puke on the patient?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Quoting zestforlife:

Last time my boss got pissed when i told him.. he hired me bcuz I was single with no children... He fired me a month later bcuz of my morning sickness...It was completely unacceptable to leave the surgical suite to vomit.. Was I supposed to puke on the patient?

:- /

Well, that does make sense....
You couldn't be reassigned elsewhere?

zestforlife
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Quoting doulala:

Quoting zestforlife:

:- /

Well, that does make sense....
You couldn't be reassigned elsewhere?

No, This was a private practice and I was one of two employees.. I was the only nurse.. The other lady was the office manager/billing expert..  I was hypersenstive to the smell of coffee so much so that the smell would induce vomitting.. The office manager refused to stop making coffee in office regardless, so I was sick everyday I went to work from the moment the coffee pot turned on until it was empty by late afernoon as the office manager was the only person who drank coffee.. This was over 8 yrs ago...

JazzysWifey
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:38 PM
i just went to my principal and told him i needed to talk to him, closed his office door and said "well i just wanted to let you know i'm pregnant" .....it wasn't a big thing because i'm due at the beginning of summer break so i'm not going to miss any school or anything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:52 PM
I never did tell my actual boss (I only worked through one pregnancy). I told the scheduler - everyone just went to her because she was the one in charge of FMLA and such. Plus I worked night shift and only saw my boss a handful of times in the 2 years I worked there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)