Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Finally had my baby!! Emergency Cesearean! (Pic heavy)

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:46 AM
  • 55 Replies

Birth details

Born: February 16th, 2011 (February 15th USA time)

Original due date: February 3rd, 2011 (February 2nd USA time)
Type of delivery: Cesarean section
Weight @ birth: 9lbs 8oz
Length @ birth: 20.50

Alexander William Locke K.'s birthstory

We went in to be induced on February 15th (41 weeks and 5 days) at 7am. At 10am they inserted Prostin gel into my cervix and found that I was 2cm dialated and 75% effaced. I was only having small contractions at this point and was able to get a nap in... At 4pm they inserted another dose of Prostin gel and told me I was 3cm. By 5:45pm I was really feeling the contractions and by 9pm they were every 5 minutes. I was fully efaced by 1am, and took a shower to relieve some of the pain. I was contracting every 4 minutes and it continued like that all night long so I didn't sleep at all.

By 6am on February 16th I was getting a bit distressed with the contractions and a vaginal exam told us I was 6cm dialated, with a bulging bag of waters. They moved me to the Delivery Suite and I was contracting every 3 minutes.

At 7am they broke my waters and I took another shower. By 8am, I was 8-9 centimetres dialated, shakey and very nauseous. I hadn't eaten at all so I ate a banana and drank some orange juice and vomited soon after.

By 12 noon (still 9cm, contracting every 2 minutes) I finally received my epidural. Apparently, I have an excellent poker face because *every single* doctor, nurse and midwife who came to check on me remarked that I was super calm and handling the pain so well, etc- it's even written throughout my paperwork several different times. I think my poker face worked against me because it took AGES for them to finally give me my darn epi even though my birth record has 'requested epidural/ still requesting epidural but SO CALM' all through it!

At 12:35 they started the Syntocinon (same or similar to Pitocin) drip. At 12:45 they increased my Syntocinon drip. At 3pm, I vomited and they increased the Syntocinon drip again, and I'm pretty sure that it's at this point (probably closer to 2:00-2:30) that my epidural had fallen out because I asked about getting my epidural upped if they were upping my other drip and was feeling really distressed about it because in my head, if they were upping the Syntocinon AND the Epidural- then nothing would change and I'd be in just as much pain.

It was during this time I started really complaining about unrelenting pain in my hips and pelvis- they checked my catheter bag and noticed there was blood in it- which they later surmised was from the baby being stuck and hitting my bladder as labour was not progressing. My poker face finally broke as after requesting that we stop the Syntocinon drip about 4 times; I finally threatened to rip the freaking IV out myself if they wouldn't turn it off (which was very surprising to me because I'm normally very calm and don't react like that at all). They turned off the drip of doom and we finally began discussing our options and the doctor advised that as labour was stalled, we should consider having a cesarean section. I quickly agreed and they began prepping me. I'm fairly certain that I just scribbled on the signature line for my cesarean consent form.

In the OR, they discovered my epidural had indeed fallen out and I had the lovely experience of having to sit forward on the bed, arching my back and staying as still as possible through unrelenting contractions (plus having the shakes from the pain) while they prepped my back and inserted my spinal block. I loved the spinal block. I smiled through my entire cesarean because the relief was so amazing after being in pain for so long.

My husband Josh sat beside me holding my hand and in NO time at all, I heard a beautiful healthy cry and Josh followed my midwife over to the table where they cleaned off my son. Daddy cut his Umbilical cord and as soon as I saw him I burst into tears and lay there sobbing as Josh took pictures and relayed information. After they did his Apgar score (9/10 on 1 Minute, 10/10 on 5 minutes) they laid him across my chest and finished stitching me up and rolled me into the recovery station.

He was 9lbs, 8oz and 20.50 inches long. He's got HEAPS of dark hair, blue eyes (common in newborns but Daddy has blue eyes as well so I think they'll stay blue) and dimples. He came out very alert, pink and crying and didn't have a single problem in the world (only got a 9/10 on the 1 minute apgar for blue palms) and is such a calm, peaceful baby. We are absolutely in love with Alexander! <3

I have nothing but positive things to say about my cesarean experience; which is funny because I was so dead set against having one when Alexander was breech for a while at 20 weeks. The doctor told me that because of how big he was, and that he was stuck in the wrong position, that he was unlikely to have progressed into a natural labour anyway, so thankfully we made the right choice and everything worked out amazingly. :)

So much for those tiny newborn outfits, he's a big boy!!

Skin to skin directly after my C-section :)

In his daddy's arms <3 (he LOVES his hands and is such a thumb/finger sucker, it's so funny.)

Laying on mommy's chest

Straight onto the breast and latching like a champion <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:52 AM

Time for bed - PEACE OUT LADIES :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:53 AM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:54 AM

Yayyy!!! congrates!! My daughter was also born on the same day emergency c section. well she was born on Feb. 16th German time. crazy.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:29 AM
Adorable! Congrats!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:35 AM

by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:51 AM

Oh my gosh he is so beautiful! My son sucks the left thumb too :p

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience and weren't completely devastated about having to have the cesarean!

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:19 AM
Congrats! He's gorgeous! I also had a c section and it was a completely positive experience for me too. In the end its all about baby being healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Congratulations! He is cute!

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:10 AM
Aww congrats! He's beautiful!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:14 AM

That was a very long labor! I am so happy everything worked out beautifully in the end and you now have your super cute little guy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)