Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you name your baby.....

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:04 AM
  • 25 Replies

a name that had an unpleasant meaning?

We are adding Mallory to our list of names we like, but it means: "unlucky, ill fated". It's a cute name, but the meaning is not very pleasant.

playing soccer boytoddler boyexpecting girl

Kyle 4/04      Zachary 10/09     Baby girl arriving in May

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ash50
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:07 AM
Personally I wouldn't name my baby something with a bad meaning but it's your baby, if you love it then that's what matters
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluestarr80
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:09 AM

My hubby LOVES the name Mallory, I like it.....

We are waiting until she arrives to name her. So far our list of names is: Emily, Lily & now Mallory.

SrkStrickland
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Aww, what a sad meaning for someone to give a name, lol. Geesh, they couldn't have come up with anything else? I usually don't pay too much attention to meanings. If I can find a wonderful name that has a great meaning, all the more better but if not oh well. No one will be looking up the meaning of her name every time someone meets her. So no one will ever know, lol

LongBeachLiz
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I probably wouldn't. 

PEEKA21
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:40 AM

I wouldnt. But like the pp said its ur baby. When i was lil I discovered what my name meant and it fit me to a T. Can u imagine ur child finding out what her name meant and b like wth.

Honeybun09
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Quoting ash50:

Personally I wouldn't name my baby something with a bad meaning but it's your baby, if you love it then that's what matters

Due in May? Join us in May 2011 Babies!

JaimieLynn8
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:45 AM
Personally, I never let a names meaning be the deciding factor in whether or not I use it. In fact, I never cared to look them up, I think it's interesting to know but I don't feel like a names meaning is going to define your child.
I've known a few Mallory's and they've been far from unlucky and ill fated.
If you like it, that's ALL that matters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluestarr80
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:00 AM

On cafemom's baby name finder Mallory means "army counselor"....who comes up with what a name means anyways?

C8Baxter
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:08 AM
It means different things in different languages. Mal in French means "bad.". The Germanic meaning is warrior. But by English, French and Latin terms, it unfortunately has the meaning of "bad luck." I'd suggest finding a site that allows people named Mallory to comment. :). I know I don't hear a name, look up it's meaning and make a judgment! Good luck finding that perfect name :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyKelleyX3
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I never look up the meanings of names.  Just doesnt matter to me.  So, yea I would.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)