Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if you have a front load washer...

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:13 AM
  • 16 Replies
Do you use HE detergent or regular?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twinmommy2010
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:15 AM
HE
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Most detergents now are HE okay...usually you use half of the normal detergent for a top load machine on most descriptions or so.

Kristin_Allen
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Either. If it is regular (NOT POWDERED) detergent, I just make sure to use 1/3 less than I ususally would.

Plus, most "regular" (NOT POWDERED) detergent says "HE Washer Safe" now. So I just buy what's least expensive.

Oh, and if you couldn't tell, lol, I would never put powdered detergent in my front loader. Doesn't dissolve right. But the Purex Sheets are okay!

sparklebug86
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I just use regular. Most detergents are now so concentrated that you are supposed to use less anyways. HE detergents are more expensive!

Rach7
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I use HE because you are supposed to. If you use regular it can cause too many bubbles and ruin the inside of the washer.... so I have heard.

llove12
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:30 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Suz_and_Ash
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:32 PM

I used HE stuff because I paid too much for my washer, I will use it properly!

mrssmitley1210
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM

You have to use HE detergent. It can ruin the seals if you dont. We had to go find new detergent when we baught ours because my daughter is allergic to fragerence and everything I could find has it in it. I used to use all free and clear.

sgt.youngs.wife
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM

i used to work for Whirlpool ... in a front loading washer, bc they are more "energy efficient" and dont use as much water, it is recommended to use the HE bc it doesnt cause the oversudsing that the regular would use. oversudsing can cause issues with the motor in the unit and that's pretty expensive and can ruin the whole washer .. plus depending on whether you have soft or hard water determines if you would get a "better wash" with granular or liquid detergent .. also (at least with all Maytag and Whirlpool that i worked with), when your washer is not running, you need to leave the washer door open or at least cracked so that it can air out .. if not, then water can settle in the seal and create mold which will cause a whole world of problems .. i know that was a big mess of information that most people probably already know BUT there ya go :) lol

mrssmitley1210
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Thats a good suggestion. I dont leave the door open for fear my kids will crawl in but I do leave the detergent door open because it somehow collects little puddles of water in it.

Quoting sgt.youngs.wife:

i used to work for Whirlpool ... in a front loading washer, bc they are more "energy efficient" and dont use as much water, it is recommended to use the HE bc it doesnt cause the oversudsing that the regular would use. oversudsing can cause issues with the motor in the unit and that's pretty expensive and can ruin the whole washer .. plus depending on whether you have soft or hard water determines if you would get a "better wash" with granular or liquid detergent .. also (at least with all Maytag and Whirlpool that i worked with), when your washer is not running, you need to leave the washer door open or at least cracked so that it can air out .. if not, then water can settle in the seal and create mold which will cause a whole world of problems .. i know that was a big mess of information that most people probably already know BUT there ya go :) lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)