Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing my mind at 33 wks...maybe.

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM
  • 18 Replies

I need your help deciding on a VBAC or Csection. To give you a little background, when I first found out I was pregnant I thought no way in HELL I would be able to go through a VBAC...I have an absolute zero tolerance for pain, and frankly I was terrified to give birth to my first. I was secretly thrilled when I had to have an emergency c-section (under general anestetic). I had pre-e & my liver was beginning to fail & my baby scored a 2 out of 10 on the BPP. They tried to induce me, but when my blood results came back they told me I had to have a c-section immediately. The pain was awful, because they wouldn't give me pain meds until after I woke up from the general anestetic. I had an awful experience. Okay, now fast forward--I have a WONDERFUL doctor. My 2 friends went to her, one had a c-section & the other had a vbac on Saturday. After listening to my friend who had the vbac I'm seriously considering changing my mind. The recovery time after a vbac is SO much quicker, but I'm terrified of the pain from birth. My son had a big head, and this baby's head is already measuring 2 wks further than the rest of his body lol. IDK if I can do it. My c-section is scheduled for April 18, and the doctor tells me that it is completely up to me. She told me that she is extremely flexible, and that the day of the c-section (or if I go into labor b4 then) & I decide I want to TRY a vbac, she will let me. She told me at anytime during the vbac, if I can't take it she will take me into surgery. IDK what to do! Does anyone else have issues with pain? I know a lot of you are all for VBACS, but I'm so nervous that I'm going to try a VBAC & something go wrong like a rupture...She also ensures that my C-section will be a great experience compared to my last & that she is willing to work with me through it all...What would you do?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuckyMissy3
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I will be having my 2nd repeat csection in september! I wanted a vbac with my second but was to scared to with the risks. Either decision you make will be right for you! p.s second csection was way easier!

nofi1389
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM

 id try a vbac personally

navynurse2006
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I, personally, had a wonderful experience with my c-section.  Although I did have such a wonderful experience, I have already decided that when I get pregnant this next time, I will definitely be attempting a VBAC.  I, too, am worried about the pain, but there are things that can be done to help with it and I believe that it will be a wonderful experience.  If I were in your shoes, I would probably attempt the VBAC, especially since your OB already knows that there is a possibility of a c-section.  I would try to stay away from an induction though.  That is normally where you see the VERY FEW uterine ruptures.  I hope that you will find some peace in your decision and good luck with everything!! :)

young_mommat
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM
I think I would TRY a VBAC. Im absolutly teriffied about labor and delivery. And the fact that Im having twins isnt helping at all. But it sounds like you have a really good doc. So I would deffinatly try a vbac.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytwins83
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

i would try vbac.. with my youngest twin boy i had to have an emergacy csection cause they lost his heartbeat.. well with my 1 1/2 year old 11 months after having the twins i did a vbac.. vbac recorvery is so much easier..

nervousmommy04
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM


Quoting navynurse2006:

I, personally, had a wonderful experience with my c-section.  Although I did have such a wonderful experience, I have already decided that when I get pregnant this next time, I will definitely be attempting a VBAC.  I, too, am worried about the pain, but there are things that can be done to help with it and I believe that it will be a wonderful experience.  If I were in your shoes, I would probably attempt the VBAC, especially since your OB already knows that there is a possibility of a c-section.  I would try to stay away from an induction though.  That is normally where you see the VERY FEW uterine ruptures.  I hope that you will find some peace in your decision and good luck with everything!! :)

She said that it would be very likely that I would be induced.  That is another reason why I am leaning towards c-section...

CafeMom Tickers
Ohio.SAHMof2
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM
I'd try for VBAC BUT do what is right with you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kenre
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM
I haven't had a c-section, but I did have no pain medications. Yes, I was terrified. I actually have a bit of fear this time too. This baby is also measuring two weeks ahead in head size. The bones of the baby's head are not fused so that baby can fit through the birth canal. Just remember that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I would REALLY opt for the safer route, personally.
An elective cesarean is very risky.

You choose what feels best for you, safety isn't the priority for everyone.   You can have a great experience either route.

 


doulala
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM


Quoting nervousmommy04:


Quoting navynurse2006:

I, personally, had a wonderful experience with my c-section.  Although I did have such a wonderful experience, I have already decided that when I get pregnant this next time, I will definitely be attempting a VBAC.  I, too, am worried about the pain, but there are things that can be done to help with it and I believe that it will be a wonderful experience.  If I were in your shoes, I would probably attempt the VBAC, especially since your OB already knows that there is a possibility of a c-section.  I would try to stay away from an induction though.  That is normally where you see the VERY FEW uterine ruptures.  I hope that you will find some peace in your decision and good luck with everything!! :)

She said that it would be very likely that I would be induced.  That is another reason why I am leaning towards c-section...

Are you having complications?   Why would you need to induce?    (Maybe your doctor isn't truly VBAC supportive.)





Reluctant doctors like to believe that they haven't much influence over
their patients, but that is clearly not the case. Several studies have
found that when doctors genuinely encouraged women to have VBACs, most
of them did, and when they said nothing or acted neutral, most women
didn't. Finally, when obstetricians discouraged VBAC in women who
wanted to try it,none of them did.

Henci Goer, Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)