Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice about BF/Pumping for Working Momma

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM
  • 8 Replies

So when is it the right time to start pumping? I am a ftm and work full time. I will need to return to work after 8 weeks. One piece of advice is to start pumping right away and use both bottles and breast so baby gets used to it.... another is to wait. I don't have the luxury of (solely) feeding at the breast forever, but I do want to give my child breast milk. I wanted to pump so that I could store any extra I might have in the event my milk does dry up, which happened to my sister with both her kids at three months of age. She said she wishes she had pumped/stored more when the milk was flowing, because she wanted to make it go until at least six months.

My plan is to breast feed when I'm home, have someone bottle feed breast milk when I'm gone... and perhaps I might bottle feed too when out in public with baby. Question is, when do you start pumping to make this work?

I understand the concept of the baby determining how much your body produces, but there has to be a happy medium here?

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I would like to know, too. I've never had much luck pumping. 8)

FLH76
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Bump!

mrsfitz05
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Hey, I may be doing a no-no, but its not my group so...try the Full-time workin mamas group. One of the girls also has a working & breastfeeding group. A lot of those ladies have been very successful and will give you LOTS of help. Its a private group. Tell them I sent you over. :-)

flowerfunleah
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:02 PM

BUMP!

Andrea0209
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I introduced bottles 2 weeks before work. It's worked great so far...but i let her fatther feed her bottles so she sees my breast as the only source of food when with me. i pump every four hours at work.. it helps with the pumping (for me) if i wait til they are hard and very full 

abra
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:05 PM
I bottle/breast feed my son. I am a SAHM so I breastfeed during the day, but pump and give him a bottle at night because he eats more from the bottle and it helps him sleep longer. I also babysit a little guy whose mom pumps for him. He is having a really hard time adjusting to the bottle. She just started him on it the day before I started watching him. Honestly, I would start introducing it to your baby now. Just once or twice a day, so he can be comfortable with it before you have to go back to work. You want to keep his life as normal as possible and if you make taking an occational bottle normal, it will be easier on baby. Plus, you're going to want to slowly increase your milk production so you have enough to pump, and starting now would help that too. Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM
I would start pumping right away, but freeze it. I wouldn't introduce bottles until at least 6 weeks. That still gives your baby 2 weeks to get used to them before you start work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JazzysWifey
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM
I honestly can't remember when I started introducing bottles, maybe around 6-8 weeks (i went back to work at 11w)... But I was pumping from the beginning and freezing it for when I went back to work. Once working I made sure pump as often as my daughter was eating, so that I could try to maintain my supply. I also nursed RIGHT before I left work and RIGHT when I got home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)