Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Surprise Twins?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:45 PM
  • 25 Replies

My little guy has been seriously inactive lately, so I decided to pull my doppler out last night and check his heartbeat.  What I found was a little surprising.  I found a heartbeat locking in at 148 a little above my belly button.  I also found mine at 72.  Thennnn I found a THIRD heartbeat about 5 inches below the first one and about 2 inches to the right locking in at 133.  This makes no sense to me.  My husband heard it and he's now convinced we have a stow away.  I'm almost 26 weeks along and we've had SEVERAL ultrasounds because of the high risk and we've ever only seen one baby.  My doctor has never used a doppler on me because of all the ultrasounds, so they've always just pin pointed his heart and listened to it that way.  Is it possible they could have missed a second baby?  Or could it just be me picking up his heartbeat in more than one place?  I really don't know what the odds of this happening are.  And before anyone asks, it is a hospital grade doppler, not a cheapy bought at a department store.  It's practically the same one doctors use.  Any thoughts?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sweet_Britt
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Its probably an echo or something...i doubt they're missing a baby after so many u/s....lol : )

good luck mama!

athenaheim
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:47 PM
It's possible. At ur next appt mention it to ur doc
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaBoop922
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:47 PM

If the baby shifts just a little bit the doppler can pick up the heart beat in a completely different place... I have a doppler and its good quality and I had the same thing happen to me once... usually they would have seen the second baby by now but you could always ask at your appointment :)  never hurts to ask! Good Luck :)  

JaimieLynn8
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:48 PM
Hmmm...I would THINK that they'd definitely have caught a twin pregnancy by now, but things happen! I'd think the same thing though, that's a little strange! Here's a bump for more answers!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hxexaxtxhxexr
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

Its probably an echo or something...i doubt they're missing a baby after so many u/s....lol : )

good luck mama!

That's something I've been telling myself since last night! lol..my mom works at the hospital and she spent the day harassing OB's and ultrasound techs, and they've all told her sometimes it's not detected until the woman is in labor which really freaks me out.  And both heartbeats sound different.  It's hard to describe, but one just sounds different..almost abnormal.  Both are very loud and strong, though. 

One-n-Counting
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Its possible but very unlikely... 

Hxexaxtxhxexr
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Quoting athenaheim:

It's possible. At ur next appt mention it to ur doc

I go back next Tuesday.  I want to believe it's nothing at all, but you know convincing it starts to become when you hear the same things over and over.

Hxexaxtxhxexr
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Quoting MommaBoop922:

If the baby shifts just a little bit the doppler can pick up the heart beat in a completely different place... I have a doppler and its good quality and I had the same thing happen to me once... usually they would have seen the second baby by now but you could always ask at your appointment :)  never hurts to ask! Good Luck :)  

Haha..I've checked it TWICE since last night and they're both in the same general spots they were last night, so nothing has changed.  I thought maybe he was laying funny and it was bouncing off something else and it wouldn't be there for long..but both have shifted a little.  It's so weird!

Hxexaxtxhxexr
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Quoting JaimieLynn8:

Hmmm...I would THINK that they'd definitely have caught a twin pregnancy by now, but things happen! I'd think the same thing though, that's a little strange! Here's a bump for more answers!

I know it's not very likely, but when you hear it yourself, you can't help but think of all those "rare" occurrances in the world and things like this have happened, just not very often.  Sooo, you start to wonder if you're going to be one of those "rare" cases and your imagination runs wild! lol

babytugz
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:13 PM

you may have heard the placenta as well as u can hear it with the doppler as my doctor found it one day and went looking for the baby and told me that what he picked up first was the placenta and ive had a few ultrasounds as well and no other babies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)