Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Share your views! 4/20/07 Smoking and drinking?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 5:01 PM
  • 12 Replies
Do you think it is ok to smoke and/or drink during pregnancy?  What lines do you draw as far as what you will stop doing, and what you will not worry about when it comes to your habits now that you are pregnant.
by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
texmexmom
by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 5:05 PM
I've never been that heavy of a smoker and have been able to quit cold turkey every time!! and booze I usually can't keep that down either but with each of them I treated myself to at least 1/2 a glass of wine in my 3rd trimester. and each time I slept soooooo good!! lol  I don't let people smoke around my kids not even dh!!! he's allowed to smoke outside!!
lovlegs84
by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 5:08 PM

well for me the day my pregnancy was confirmed i quit smoking cold turkey i don't even crave it any more i just think i want my little guy healthy and thats that ! (I was smoking a pack to a pack and a half a day) congrats to me ... with drinking i have had a half glass of wine my whole pregnancy .....and i was a weekend binge drinker with the girls ... i couldn't be happier

SexyCocoaMama
by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 5:18 PM
For me it's an absolute no-no.  I don't smoke when i'm not pregnant so smoking was never an issue for me.  I drink every once in awhile with my husband, but i won't touch it while i'm pregnant.  They say one glass of red wine during pregnancy is good for you and i tried it once, but i felt so guilty i barely made it through half the glass.  There's too many risk of harming the baby and there's no way of knowing how much alcohol is too much.
mygirlsrmyworld
by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 5:25 PM
I quit smoking a month ago and I'm not pregnant yet, but we are trying to get pregnant and I knew when we would start, so I knew I had to quit smoking before I even got pregnant.  And I will not drink while being pregnant either.  I just think it's a TERRIBLE thing to do to your baby.  My husband knew a girl who smoked her entire pregnancy and then continued to smoke while nursing and I thought that was completely pointless and child abuse in my opinion.  So, for me, smoking and drinking are a definite no while I'm pregnant.
Becca87
by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 5:53 PM
It's not okay to smoke or drink during pregnancy. I'm not a smoker or drinker anyway but when I was pregnant I made sure to stay away from people who were smoking and I didn't even like being around people who were drinking, I didn't want to put my child in any danger. If that person got roudy and wanted to jump around, I didn't want to be any part of it. If you're going to be pregnant, make sure you and your child are both as healthy as possible.
Sarahem
by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 6:54 PM

I quit smoking all of my pregnancies.    With my daughter I occasionally would have a sip of beer if my husband had one, but that's it.  It probably only happens three times my whole pregnancy.  Well, once I found out I was preg anyway.  I just think that when our mothers were pregnant with us, they didn't know as much about what was dangerous as we do now, so you know they are going to find out that some things we are doing now are dangerous, so why risk it if we know there's a chance.  Like caffeine.  I won't even consume anything with caffeine in it, but some people are comfortable drinking coffee and pop all day.

Crystals_Mom07
by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 7:04 PM
I quit smoking weed a few months before I got pregnant, and I'm glad I did that. I needed to quit for me. Anyway, I was smoking cigs when I found out. I heard that quitting cold turkey could cause shock, or something. So, I smoked one or two a day until the pack was gone. I haven't smoked since. New years I had a sip of a wine cooler, but I couldn't drink anymore after that.  I felt way toooo guilty.
Some might not agree with the smoking one or two cigs in the beginning, but I don't care. I'm proud of myself for quitting, and I'm proud of myself for not drinking or anything else. I know a few people that smoked weed occasionally when pregnant, they smoke cigs occasionally, and they drank hard liquor a few times. I'm glad I can say I never did that!

Cynthia<3
mommacat
by on Apr. 21, 2007 at 9:50 AM
I have never been a smoker and I used to drink a bit but it got old quick. Now I'm more of an occassional drinker but when pregnant it's a no go. Once I know I'm pregnant there's no alcohol, no caffeine (except what's in chocolate!!!), I avoid smokers the whole nine yards. I just converted to Catholicism so at the Easter Vigil when I had my first communion I did have a sip of the wine but it's not even a drink, you just barely wet your lips and I decided not to do that again as since I drink so little it was really strong to me. The only think I don't stress over is sweets! You read everywhere to limit sweets limit sweets, eat a handful of chocolate cereal instead of chocolate to curb a craving or what not but if I want cake, cookie, candy, etc I will eat it, I have with all 3 pregnancies and all has been well, not diabetic, no big babies, no huge weight gain or anything. I figure I will eat what I want because otherwise I would have chocolate cereal and then a piece of chocolate or whatever. So that would be more calories!!!

sisterchickie
by on Apr. 21, 2007 at 12:45 PM
I think both are big no-no's. I quit smoking in April last year so that we could start trying I got pregnant in the beginning iof August. I smoked for 12 years. I never want to wonder if anything that is wrong with my child is my fault. If she could have been smarter or healthier or not have ADD or anything because I had smoked. I could never live with that. If you have children you will have to make alot of sacrifices in life for them and if you cant make this one I firmly believe you shouldnt have a child. Of course if you get pregnant accidentally and you are smoking you have to quit in a mannor supported by your doctor.
tjs48192
by on Apr. 21, 2007 at 2:38 PM
I have been a smoker for 18 years. I got pregnant by surprise. I cut down everyday for  about 2 weeks. After that I quit and have not had a cig in a week. I was a weekend social drinker but that stopped the day I found out. I did not quit cold turkey with cigs cause most dr's tell you not to if you are a long time heavy smoker. Whatever withdrawls you go thru the baby goes thru even worse.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured