Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

I had my baby!

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 7:07 PM
  • 5 Replies
Friday I began having contractions. I timed them throughout the day, and waited until they were 7 mins apart to call my dr. As instructed, I went to the triage at the Women's center for observation. I honestly thought I was going to have my baby in my arms within a few hours. They checked my cervix and informed me I was dialated to 4 cm. My instructions were to walk the halls for an hour, and return. They rechecked me and said I had dialated to 5 cm. The dr on duty told nurses to give me a shot and send me home. The shot, as explained to me, was to HELP my contractions increase with frequency and strength. I was to return when my contractions were closer together, about 3-5 mins apart.
Saturday:
The shot stopped my contractions. I was soo drugged, I could barely stay awake more than ten mins at a time. I was having pelvic pressure and strong back pain. So I called them again, and was instructed to return to triage for a check and observation. They said my labor had moved to my back.
After two hours of sleeping on their beds, my contractions began to pick back up- but weren't as frequent as they'd wanted. They sent me home again. My family decided to go to Scalini's Italian Resturant and see if that'd help me get going again. During dinner my contractions were back and were happening 2 mins apart. When we left hospital the nurse said "Don't come back without water broken or bloody pad, dr will not keep you until then". We were so terrified to leave the general area of the hospital, in fear we'd have the baby in the car somewhere! I told Jared we weren't going back to hospital Saturday night, I knew theyd just send me home.
Sunday:
Contractions still 2 mins apart. I was nauseated...couldn't keep anything down. I took a warm bubble bath, mostly to help relieve the pain of contractions. Jared massaged my feet for me, and we just stayed home. Until Isaac came home, running high fever and vomiting and coughing. Decided to take him to Urgent Care. As I sat there for 2 hours, my contractions got to 1 min apart. But water didn't break. Left Urgent Care and got Isaac home. He had 2 seizures that night, I honestly thought we'd have to drive up to Scottish Rite (1 hr away)...
Monday:
I woke up at 5am with NO contractions. But still had pelvic pressure...back pain...dizzy. Called my dr, they wanted me in ASAP. So we got kids ready and dropped them off with my grandmother. Arrive to dr's office. My dr rushes me in, asks me to tell her what's been going on. I literally said "I am dilated to 5 cm" and she said "stop there", checks me and sees I am dilated to 5cm. Gives me papers and tells me to go to hospital immediately.
Arrive to hospital, get checked in and settled in our room. Dr rushes in, breaks water. An hour goes by, no contractions yet. Started me on pitocin. We figured it was because my body was soo exhausted by then. Couple hours goes by and they increased pitocin.
Contractions again! FINALLY! So I lay there contracting a lil while. Finally got to 7 cm. I had so wanted to go naturally, without epidural. However, I was so tired and wanted it over. I cried as I requested the epi, not because of the pain- but because I couldn't go naturally. I knew my body was worn out and I was edgy and not relaxing, which was prolonging it even more. I cried as they gave me the epidural, with disappointment in myself.
Ten mins after my epi, nurse comes in to check on me. I inform her I still feel my contractions, but only on right side. She checks me, I am dilated to 9 cm....baby's head is fully engaged, all we need is dr. She paged dr, and asked me if I wanted them to give me another boost of the epi. I declined, so she checks me again. Now I am at 10 cm.
Doctor comes in, asks for a practice push. Screams STOP! Grabs his gloves, shoves them on and says "PUSH". I pushed three times, and Elijah was born. My left side was numb, my righ side wasn't.......so I guess I was half natural? Either way, I was satisfied!
Nurse asks dr if I needed to be stiched. He informs her he didn't cut me, and that I hadn't ripped! So I have no stiches, and very little bleeding!

After Elijah John Stevens was cleaned up, they handed him to me. He latched on perfectly, and began pigging out!

And that's our little story of how Lil' Elijah was born. 6lbs 11oz and 18 1/2 in tall. He was born at 401pm est..
by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gizmokitty
by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 7:13 PM
congratulations!!!!! you can read my birth story on my journals posts inmy profile!!! having a baby is the most amazing thing in the world!
Crystals_Mom07
by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 7:13 PM
Congratulations! When were you due?

Cynthia<3
telecomgirl
by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 7:15 PM
awwww he's adorable! - thanks for sharing your birth story with all of us!!! :)

Congratulations on the birth of your son!!! :)

~Rachel
gacgbaker
by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 7:15 PM
Wow he is a cutie!  OK that hospital staff needs to learn how to handle things better!  Sent you home at 5!!!  What!  Surprised  I am glad that you and baby are ok, they shouldn't have sent you home!  I have always had to have my water broken, and I bet if they would have called the doctor and done that, you would have missed out on a lot of pain.  By 5 they should be admitting you!  Wow!  Anyway, off my soap box to say congrats, and I am so happy he is here and healthy and that you are doing fine!
natrejo
by on Apr. 20, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Woo HOO!!! Congradulations!!! Never a prouder moment than having a baby, or more feeling of relief for that matter. By the way, I would discuss the hospital treatment with your doctor, and file a complaint. That isn't right. Something could have happened to you or/and the baby. The baby does get stressed during the process, and they weren't to concerned apparently. I wouldn't let this go unoticed. If the baby would have suffered because of their neglegance, you would have every right to sue. It is a blessing that he came out healthy, and so did you. You definately had an Angel by your side.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN