Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The OB scolded me :(

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:35 PM
  • 22 Replies

...for being a little over 18 weeks pregnant and having lost a total of 5 pounds from my prepregnancy weight.  She said when I come back in 4 weeks, if I haven't at least gained a little of that back, she's gonna make me start drinking protein shakes...lol, like a bodybuilder!  But seriously, I haven't meant to lose weight. :(  I lost 3 of those pounds during morning sickness and even though that's gone now, my appetite just hasn't come back. 

I was overweight going into this pregnancy by about 25-30 lbs so I was only going to gain about 15 lbs total--now I gotta gain 20!  somehow.  boo.  So, protein snacks that I like, since I HAVE to start eating them:

1. Smoked almonds

2. Jerky

3. Tuna (though I can only have that once a week)

4. Cheese sticks

Anybody else got any good suggestions for protein snacks, to save me from the dreaded protein shakes? (I do NOT like peanut butter or yogurt.) Help!

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BiPolarMomto3
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:44 PM
Your Dr sounds like an idiot! Your going to lose weight it comes and goes during pregnancy...OMG...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:54 PM

eggs and nuts

kendra908
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Yea, your dr sounds like an idiot! I am almost 31 weeks & have a perfectly healthy pregnancy...I gained ZERO pounds up until 23 weeks, & from 23-28 weeks I gained about 25 pounds. You are fine as long as the baby is still growing/progressing/developing like he/she should AND as long as you are still eating healthy.

W/ my 1st...I wasn't overweight at all & I lost 20+ pounds in the first 20 weeks & then gained 30 or so back...so total I really only gained maybe 10-12 pounds w/ her.

BabyFetus Ticker
abra
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:55 PM

BTW I get scolded usually too. Due to having hyperemesis, I usually loose about 25lbs in the first trimester and spend the rest of the pregnancy trying to gain it back. Protein shakes are what I used last time. It was yucky, but it worked!

dsebastian23
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:57 PM

She would freak out about me then...I lost 17lbs and im 15 weeks pregnant.

athenaheim
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:58 PM
Were u skinny to begin with. I lost a total of 20 lbs the first six months and my ob didn't say anything. I have gained 5 lbs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lisakansas
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I think the baby is fine--she measured dead on her gestational age for both ultrasounds I had (at 9 and 12 weeks) and when the scolding OB whipped out the Doppler today, she instantly got her heartbeat at 150.  My anatomy u/s will be sometime in the next four weeks, if she is still right where she ought to be size-wise I am going to take you ladies' advice and Stop Worrying. :)

athenaheim
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:01 PM
U live in Kansas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lisakansas
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Nope, I was not skinny, sadly...I had put on 25-30 unnecessary and unneeded lbs over a year and half due to a severely herniated disk in my lower back.  Spinal surgery fixed the back several months ago...more or less...but I hadn't yet lost the weight when I unexpectedly popped up pregnant. 

Quoting athenaheim:

Were u skinny to begin with. I lost a total of 20 lbs the first six months and my ob didn't say anything. I have gained 5 lbs

lisakansas
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Not anymore. :)  I did grow up there though--I left KS when I was 18 for the military. :)

Quoting athenaheim:

U live in Kansas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)