Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

oatmeal in the bottle? PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM
  • 30 Replies

Ok so my daughter is 5 weeks 4 days old. She eats 5 oz every 2-3 hrs. She doesnt seem to be getting full all the time. She is getting a milk belly ( i think its cute) but of course you have to mixed suggestions from people. Some people usually older people saying put a little cereal in the bottle. A little oatmeal will coat her tummy. You know how people give suggestions. I am a little skeptical! When did you put oatmeal in the bottle? Why would you not? if you dont suggest giving cereal this early what do you suggest? I dont want to feed her all day every minute but i want her full!

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mswaz
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:01 PM
You not supposed to put cereal in bottles it's a choking hazard
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egurl85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Quoting mswaz:

You not supposed to put cereal in bottles it's a choking hazard

oatmeal???

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM

My little ones were usually closer to six months prior to when I put any cereal in their bottles.  I guess I would call her pediatrician to see what he/she recommends you to do. 

teachmichele825
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Not a good idea. Do the research yourself. Their little bodies do not digest this stuff too well...

MommyKelleyX3
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I never put oatmeal in a bottle, theres no reason.  They should get that baby cereal when they are big enough to eat it out of a spoon.  Unless the doctor is telling you the baby needs it to put on weight or something, I wouldnt do it.  5 weeks is way too young for that stuff.

butlerro1013
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Oh no.  Look, if she's hungry, then she's hungry.  Oatmeal and cereal have no nutritional value, they are only meant to help a baby develop their oral motor skills when their old enough.  If you thicken her milk with this,  then it will take the place of the formula, and vitamins and minerals and nutrients, she does need to grow and develop.  Personally, I think it's a horrible idea at her age.  Just my two cents.

TDausman
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM
Babies should not get anything but formula or breastmilk until at the very LEAST four months preferably six months. And then cereal should never be added to a bottle. It is unsafe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tlcpetsitter360
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM

5 weeks to young for anything but formula or BF. at 5 months or when you start them on baby food you can mix VERY LITTLE baby cereal in with the bottle I mean VERY LITTLE. 

ambs86
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM
I would ask her peds doc first. Now my ped doc that I use had me put rice cereal in my sons bottel, it was to help him not throw up so much and thicken the formula. It was like a teaspoon for an ounce, so not much at all. But I would def talk to her doc about it cause it can be a choking hazard and other things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BethPrice1345
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:08 PM
It's a choking hazard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)