Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dental work during pregnancy question- updated in blue

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM
  • 7 Replies

so we finally have money for me to get the dental work done that i need and i know if i get it done ill feel a lot better about myself and the sooner it gets done the better because its getting worse... but one problem..

i dont numb on one side of my mouth, last time they maxed me out on the meds and i still felt everything! im scared to death to go back again because of that, and i was going to be put to sleep for the rest of what dental work... but can they do that while your pregnant?? or do i have to wait until after i have the baby? i plan on talking to my ob about it but i figured id see if anyone else had experience with this

i asked the ob i saw yesterday (it was a different one than the previous visits, same office) she said i need to go to the dentist, and get an evaluation done, but she doesn't know if it's okay during pregnancy or not... i dont want to go get dental insurance (we can easily get it but have to pay for it so we were waiting until i started going) and have to pay for it, if i cant get anything done for another couple months, so im seeing a different doctor next visit and asking him if he knows if it's okay, i know the dentist will not do it with out the okay from my ob doctor 

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Tamaralynn30
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM
If it's absolutely necessary they can do it.

I had to be put to sleep for a gallbladder removal at 12 weeks pregnant.

I had a second procedure afterwards to remove gallstones from my bile duct - but they just sedated me - unfortunately I woke up half way through (due to my earlier surgery - they didn't want to give me too much sedatives)

Speak to your ob an dentist. If ob recommends it - a dentist will give you the safest medications

Feel better soon mama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyKelleyX3
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I dont think they can put you to sleep while you are pregnant.  or at least they arent supposed to.  The same thing happened to me, though...I went to get a tooth pulled a couple years ago, and no matter how many shots he gave me, I couldnt numb.  I felt it all, and it was the WORST pain I have ever felt in my whole life...thats why I havent gone back.  That tooth NEEDS out, but Im too scared.  Ugh.

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I think laughing gas (nitrous oxide) is safe and it does help with pain.  Ask you doctor.

kmencl3210
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Quoting MommyKelleyX3:

I dont think they can put you to sleep while you are pregnant.  or at least they arent supposed to.  The same thing happened to me, though...I went to get a tooth pulled a couple years ago, and no matter how many shots he gave me, I couldnt numb.  I felt it all, and it was the WORST pain I have ever felt in my whole life...thats why I havent gone back.  That tooth NEEDS out, but Im too scared.  Ugh.

i wasnt able to go during my first pregnancy or for a little while after (the dad was extremely controlling, long story) and i started getting a lot of dental problems, mostly i need fillings done, on my front teeth, i did take care of my teeth i think it was something during pregnancy... idk... but when i was able to go i went than lost my insurance, and finally got new insurance but they hardly cover anything so weve been saving up because its something i want done, now theyre getting sensitive and stuff... and i cant go through all the pain again :(

Ohio.SAHMof2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM
Idk never had dental work done while pregnant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BiPolarMomto3
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM
YES. You can be put to sleep. They use the same drug at a dentist that they use in a hospital to put you to sleep...Ask your Dentist about CONSCIOUS SEDATION. Your still awake but you are sedated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmencl3210
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 2:07 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)