Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old does a baby have to be to use a wrap/sling?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:55 PM
  • 20 Replies

I haven't asked my doctor yet, I forgot at my appointment today, when can a baby be put into a sling or moby wrap? I'm due April 12, and I have a sling and a moby wrap, can I use them right away, or should I wait until the baby is a couple months old?

With my first I had a sling, and I think I put her in it when she was just weeks old, not sure if this was correct or not.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bensmum25
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:57 PM
I put my first Ds in the moby right away and the instructions with my ring sling said that it could be used from birth up with a healthy, full term baby. Hth
doulala
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Just born is my qualifying factor.

MommySteph06
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:08 AM
Newborns are fine in a moby. If you look in the instruction booklet, it has a bunch of different ways to wrap it. I think there's at least 2-3 different holds meant for newborns. So just wrap it one of those ways and you should be fine! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shedswife
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:12 AM
I use a sling for my newborns. I also have a snugli carrier but won't use until 8+ pounds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaLiv22
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:12 AM

That's what confused me, I saw those, but it also says any baby under 4 months, you should ask a doctor. I'm not sure if they put that just for liability purposes, that's what got me all confused.

Quoting MommySteph06:

Newborns are fine in a moby. If you look in the instruction booklet, it has a bunch of different ways to wrap it. I think there's at least 2-3 different holds meant for newborns. So just wrap it one of those ways and you should be fine! :)

JazzysWifey
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:21 AM
It's probably a liability issue... You can use them from birth, but you have to be very aware of baby's positioning and making sure baby an still breath
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcsmummy
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:26 AM
As long as the baby is outside of your body it is fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
5angels4me
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 3:15 AM
I started using my k'tan when she was 4 days old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jridgill
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 8:19 AM
Right away :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Motherof4_2008
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 8:46 AM
I believe that you can use them from birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)