Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Accurate...

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:57 PM
  • 5 Replies
Is fundal height measurement? I was measured today at 30 weeks and I only measured 25 cm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
One-n-Counting
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:59 PM

It's usually the most reliable for me.... I'm not sure how accurate it's considered.

MommySteph06
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:01 PM
It's more accurate than ultrasound measurements, but it's still just a best guess.
I'm not sure how accurate it is statistic wise though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
One-n-Counting
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Fundal height is the distance from the top of the uterus to the pubic bone measured in centimeters. Starting in the second trimester, fundal height usually matches closely to the number of weeks you've been pregnant. For example, if you're 27 weeks pregnant, your health care provider would expect your fundal height to be about 27 centimeters. However, the measurement has a wide range of normal findings.

Larger than expected fundal height
A fundal height 2 centimeters larger than expected isn't usually cause for concern. This degree of variance isn't unusual and can be caused by many harmless factors, such as:

• A thicker than average uterus or abdominal wall
  • A full bladder
  • Scarring from a prior C-section
  • Short stature
  • Twins or other multiples

If your fundal height continues to increase faster than expected, your health care provider may recommend an ultrasound or other tests to determine what's causing the unusual measurements. Possible causes may include:

• Rapid fetal growth (macrosomia) due to gestational diabetes
  • Excessive amniotic fluid (polyhydramnios), which may indicate a problem with the baby or the pregnancy
  • Uterine fibroids, which can increase the risk of miscarriage, preterm birth and breech birth

Smaller than expected fundal height
It's also common to have a fundal height that's a few centimeters smaller than expected. Like a larger than expected fundal height, this degree of variance can be caused by many harmless factors, such as:

• A tall or slim frame
  • Well-conditioned abdominal muscles
  • A baby prematurely descending into the pelvis

If fundal height measures much smaller than expected throughout pregnancy or increases more slowly than expected, a health care provider may suspect:

• Intrauterine growth restriction, a condition that slows a baby's growth
  • Too little amniotic fluid (oligohydramnios), which may indicate a problem with the baby or the pregnancy
  • A baby in a breech position

As with a larger than expected fundal height, an ultrasound or other tests are typically done to determine what's causing the unusual measurements.

olivejuicebby
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:03 PM

bump

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:17 PM

It is never very accurate for me--I guess my body type likes to throw it off quite a bit sometimes.  But, then other times, it will match up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)