Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Steroids For Lung Development

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:28 PM
  • 9 Replies

I typically have my babies slightly on the early side and my boys, specifically, have been in the NICU for breathing problems. So, this baby, we're looking to do the steroid injections around 32 weeks to hopefully make sure the little guy can breath when he's born. Anyone have any experience with this? 

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tzejstorey
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:33 PM

My sister had it with her last baby.  Her first 2 kids came early, my niece was 5 weeks early and my nephew was 3 mths early.  So with her last the Dr decided to start her on steroid inj just to be prepared. But luckily the baby decided to be full-term.  He's 12 now and completely healthy.  Good Luck!!

mandasue0678
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:37 PM

yes, just be prepared for your butt to hurt. lol. it's an intramuscular shot and it hurts like hell. i had my shot when i was 33wks with my 1st DD bc they thought she might come early, but i didn't have her until 37 wks when i was induced ( i have diabetes). her lungs were mature by then but maybe the steroids helped that along. good luck :)

MommyKelleyX3
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Bump!

mem82
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I haven't but GOOD LUCK! 8)

apoe
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM

i had them at 24 weeks with my last. i had once again goine into preterm labor. i had 2 shots 24 hors apart. my butt hurt for days afterwards. i didnt have him unitl 38 weeks when i ended up being induced due to disstress on him. good luck

..Lucky..
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 10:26 AM
Here's a bump for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XOXOnBubbles
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Had one steroid shot when I was in pre-term labor with my baby.  Unfortunately they could not stop my contractions, and did not have time to do a second one before she was born (at 33 weeks).  She is currently in the NICU but doing well.

It is not THAT bad.  It does hurt.  You can feel the injection more than the needle, it is thick stuff, and kind of burns a little.  They gave mine to me in my thigh muscle.  It is nothing compared to hard contractions, and definitely worth it if it helps baby! 

evansmommy03
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 11:15 AM

I do not but here is a bump!

fancyjane
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Thanks. From all I've read, there are very minimal side effects, so it seems it is better to do it just in case rather than not do it. I'm just hoping it will make a difference, since I'd more than likely be delivering more than 7 days after the injections (hopefully) but I hope to NOT have another NICU baby. Not that I'm not grateful for the NICU, but I'd rather not step foot in there this time around. (I usually deliver right around 36 weeks, give or take a week.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)