Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about Breast Pump & BF. For Those that have BF....

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:33 PM
  • 18 Replies

So I just got a brand new breast pump its a Medela, but it's not a hospital grade. It's the simplicity I think ? I'm just wondering if this is a good pump? I am going to have to pump ALOT to be able breastfeed. But this pump is supposed to be used sparingly... Will it work ? With my other 3 I tried, but I just couldn't do it.. I've always been told that I have inverted nipples, but recently I was told they are just flat because they do get erect when stimulated, but it seems when I try to put it to baby's mouth it sucks right back in and I'm left with just the areola hard... So, can I use this breast pump ? Or should I see about a hospital grade ? And also, can I breast feed this LO ? I have PCOS so I've been told that there could be a problem with me even keeping up a milk supply.... If I can get a good milk supply going is it possible I can breast feed ??? 

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Have you looked into nipple shields?

CafeMom Tickers

BiPolarMomto3
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I have and I definately want to get some, but I'm not sure how to measure ? LOL Do I have to get 2 or can I get 1 and use it for both breasts ?

Quoting mem82:

Megan.Aber
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:40 PM
If you r going to exclusively pump u need a hospital grade pump. Yes pcos can interfer with bf but it doesn't mean it will. Lansinoh make a latch assist where it pulls the nipple out for an easier latch. U could also pump for a min to bring the nipple out. U could look into a nipple shield but I'd use that a last resort. Meet with your local lc at the hospital she will be able to show you better than I or anyone can explain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dolphingoddess
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:40 PM

I have the same problem and I pumped into a bottle for both my girls and I will for this little one too.  I go with the automatic so I dont have to pump and before that I had a plastic set (long time ago) and I didnt have a problem with either.

mem82
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:41 PM

LOL I have no idea how you would measure that. I would call the lactaction consultant at your hospital. 8)

Quoting BiPolarMomto3:

I have and I definately want to get some, but I'm not sure how to measure ? LOL Do I have to get 2 or can I get 1 and use it for both breasts ?

Quoting mem82:

CafeMom Tickers

Maddape48854
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Do NOT listen to people that tell you that you cannot breastfeed! I had a flat nipple and the shield helped bring it out and it stayed. If you are not going to be awy from baby, there's really no need to pump. But it may help to draw those nipples out. Have you gone to a La Leche League meeting? Or met with a lactation consultant? Both of these can help educate you and sift through the myths and wive's tales of breastfeeding. I also suggest joining the breastfeeding group! The best way to ensure a grat nursing relationship is to nurse on demand, get lots of rest, lots of skin to skin with baby, and drink tons of water! Please feel free to pm me if you would like to talk about it more. I have ebf 5 children and will be ebfing my 6th in May!

BiPolarMomto3
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I have actually met with her and she suggested the nipple shields as a last resort also....I don't want to exclusively pump, I want to breastfeed, but the LC is saying that I may need to pump a lot at first to help get the milk supply established..... *sighs* I really want to BF this time!!!!

Quoting Megan.Aber:

If you r going to exclusively pump u need a hospital grade pump. Yes pcos can interfer with bf but it doesn't mean it will. Lansinoh make a latch assist where it pulls the nipple out for an easier latch. U could also pump for a min to bring the nipple out. U could look into a nipple shield but I'd use that a last resort. Meet with your local lc at the hospital she will be able to show you better than I or anyone can explain.

BiPolarMomto3
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:29 PM

BUMP!

mem82
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:31 PM

I know there are teas that are said to help with milk production. I would research them and see if any are safe for pregnancy and begin to drink them if you can. Think of it as a running start.

RozyMama
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:32 PM

http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/invertednipples.html

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t021800.asp

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/bfhelp-mother.html#inverted

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)