Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6-Year-Old Gets a Disturbing TSA Pat-Down

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:28 PM
  • 12 Replies

How would you react?

6-Year-Old Gets a Disturbing TSA Pat-Down

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham
on April 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM

As parents, we spend a lot of time teaching our kids who is and who is not allowed to touch them. In the interest of making it simple, we try to say only doctors and mommies/daddies (in certain circumstances) should be allowed, but are we now supposed to expand that list to TSA agents?

In the past few months, airport security has been making the news for their disturbing pat-downs, some of which have been on children as young as 3, and while this one is not as invasive, it's no less maddening. Why should a child this small possibly be subject to having their bum and waistband and crotch touched by a TSA agent?

There is just no reason for it. See the pat-down of the 6-year-old below for yourself:

To her credit, the child seems more amused than disturbed by the whole thing, but as a mom myself, I had a hard time putting myself in the poor mom's shoes. I would feel so helpless and furious.

Last year I had to watch my 64-year-old father get treated like a criminal by the JFK TSA agents, but to see it happen to my child would be too much to bear. I honestly think I would walk out of the airport and not let my kid be patted down. That may seem reactive to some, especially when this little girl seems totally calm and able to take it in stride, but the lack of control is what gets me.

There is no time EVER when I, as the parent, should feel like I have to let someone touch my child even when I don't want them to. I don't care what the situation is. Even in a doctor's office, I have the option to walk out. People have the option not to vaccinate or not to hospitalize or not to do any number of things because WE are the moms and dads. Our children have the right to say they don't want to be touched and then not BE touched.

Sure, there is the option not to fly, but for parents who live far from their families or want to ever go anywhere more than 5 hours away, a world without planes is not realistic. But the idea that I would have to compromise my basic principles and my child's as well just to get on a plane is pretty alarming.

Six-year-olds being groped? Is this really the world we want to raise our kids in?

Mommy to a wonderful 2 year old boy! Soon to have another in May! Married to my best friend for 5 years! 

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
army_wifey_06
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:31 PM

That is ridiculous...I don't think they should have made her do that! 

Pandapanda
by Amber on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:32 PM
Because a six year old girl is going to blow up a plane, right?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C8Baxter
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:33 PM
Sadly, it's the next step. An innocent child may not be the three but the parent using that innocence as a cover---hiding something on their child? Maybe a bit too far. :/...what has this world come to?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I think they are doing it to be fair. If you are going to be safety conscious but not single out any type of person then you need to be completely fair and somewhat blind to the details. The lady isn't rough or anything like that. If they are checking randomly, then no one can claim harassment. 8) It sucks but this is the world we live in.

wdenise

Totally agree. I wouldn't be thrilled about it but I'd rather be safe. It's unfortunate but they wouldn't do it unless there was a reason to. 

Quoting C8Baxter:

Sadly, it's the next step. An innocent child may not be the three but the parent using that innocence as a cover---hiding something on their child? Maybe a bit too far. :/...what has this world come to?

Megan.Aber
This scares me. I'm flying in sept and I hope to God they don't pat down my 2year old! Ill freak out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:39 PM

People do it all the time, even in this country. How often do we hear of people smuggling drugs in their baby diapers and stuff in toddler's backpacks? Cocaine in the formula or things in doll babies. It is just sad. Most decent people would never think to use a child, but sadly, those people aren't decent. 8(

Quoting C8Baxter:

CafeMom Tickers

MommyKelleyX3
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Quoting wdenise:

Totally agree. I wouldn't be thrilled about it but I'd rather be safe. It's unfortunate but they wouldn't do it unless there was a reason to. 

Quoting C8Baxter:

Yep, I agree.

pregnancy calendar
Rach7
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 9:48 AM

I agree here people will not stop at anything to hurt other people. They would use a child if they found they could get through easier.

Quoting C8Baxter:

CrunchyBran
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 9:51 AM

This is why we no longer fly.  Our government is stripping away civil liberties under the name of safety and people buy it blindly.  I'm sorry.  Nobody is allowed to pat down my children unless they have already committed a crime.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)