Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Delivery

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:00 PM
  • 10 Replies
hi I'm Stephanie and I'm pregnant with my first child and I was wondering from the experianced moms out there if u all could explain delivery please? I would appreciate that very much.
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Sure we can. What exactly about it do you need to know? Like what happens from the time you get to the hospital? What contractions feel like?

Babyd0ll49
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:02 PM

every delivery is different...just don't let anyone tell you it don't hurt cuz it does...all i can tell you is to relax and just remember when it is all done you will have your little one in your arms....good luck and god bless hun

BiPolarMomto3
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Well, what would you like to know ? Does it hurt ? Yea it does.. But it's not like they make it out to be on TV. I am the biggest baby when it comes to pain and my first son was 9lbs 8oz. The part that hurts the most is "THE RING OF FIRE" .. It's when the baby's head crowns... If you can manage to control your breathing during contractions, then you will be fine and won't need medication. IMO, epidural's can slow down labor. They did with my last 2.. I was induced... Also, don't let anyone else tell you that being induced and natural childbirth are the same .. it's not! Going into labor on your own naturally gives you and your body the chance to build up to the pain and intensity of the contractions.. When your induced they start that shit hard and fast and you have no time.... What else would you like to know? Oh, and also.. It is way better to tear than to be cut! I have had so many of my friends get cut and said they regretted it! It takes longer to heal... Tearing is natural and will heal quicker.... 

sgt.youngs.wife
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:24 PM

every delivery is going to be different .. my cousin told me about her delivery and i was terrified lol but mine was NOTHING like that!  i was induced the day that i turned 37 weeks.  my cervix was still closed and not even thinned at all ... so they had to give me some medicine vaginally (not sure of the name) to dilate my cervix ... that didn't hurt, it just really made me feel like i was having period cramps.  once i was at like 3cm, they gave me an epidural (some choose not to, however i LOVED mine) and from that point, no more pain.  they started me on pitocin which started my contractions and they were able to stretch me from 4 to 5cm after breaking my water ... they checked me 2 hours later and i was at 6 cm .. came back 2 hours later, and i was at 10cm and ready to push .. i pushed for 4 contractions and i had my baby boy =)  i did have a 4th degree tear, but i felt nothing due to the epidural.  the after effect of the stitches wasnt that bad either at first.  but again EVERY DELIVERY IS DIFFERENT.  my delivery with my daughter may be completely different =)  good luck!

Pandapanda
by Amber on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:24 PM
Birth isn't the way you see it on TV- that's not normal, healthy birthing.

In my opinion, the contractions are the worst part of labor. They will not kill you, they don"t last forever, and there are breaks in between them for a reason. It's nature's way of making labor tolerable. I had my first child naturally, no medication and a spontaneous labor. I'm an extreme wimp with any pain, but labor is different and if you're armed mentally, you'll have a smooth delivery.

The "ring of fire" during crowning BURNS but after my son crowned, I felt absolutely zero pain. None at all. I pushed 15 minutes- his shoulders were stuck so he wasn't going anywhere. My midwife turned him and he shot out without me pushing. Very easy delivery!

How your delivery goes depends on who your care provider is. Midwives tend to offer more freedom and more choices during labor. With most OB's, you'll be confined to bed with monitors on you and being in bed on your back is the #1 thing that will:
Make you tear
Make things extremely stressful/painful
Stall labor (gravity is your best friend in labor- get off your back)

There are some amazing OBs and terrible midwives. Just find who is right for you and question them. Never accept something as-is. Always make sure you explore your options. Doctors make a lot of judgement calls and educated guesses and they aren't free from making mistakes.

Also- learn your patient rights. Just because there is "policy" doesn't mean you have to do things like have an iv, lay in bed, etc.

Education is key in childbirth. :)
(Sorry for rambling!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by Amber on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:28 PM
To add onto a PP, having an episiotomy increased the odds of tearing. An episiotomy is a snip downstairs to make the vaginal opening a little bigger during delivery. Having a cut is just asking to tear further.

Try pulling on a paper towel. Now cut an inch in the middle and try pulling again. It tears MUCH easier!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:42 PM

There are many different things to touch on---  if you want to know allll about allll the different things moms might experience, her options, what to do when, how to handle complications, etc., you might like to take a birth class, read, get a great care provider, watch videos, use a birth doula, and all that great stuff.

:-)

There are so many things to talk about, would you like to start with specifics to narrow it down a bit/

;-)

Momy2beAUG.2009
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:30 AM

It is going to be very scary when it starts (at least it was for me) and you will just try and let yourself relax a little more. I know this time kind of what to expect so I am hoping I wont be so quick to get the epidural but who knows.

.Sugaree.
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 1:10 AM

both of mine were SO different

#1 induced with pitocin at 40 weeks 3 days. 12 hours of labor. VERY PAINFUL. Got IV, catheter, epidural, stuck in bed on my back/semi sitting, not allowed to eat, vacuum extractor, hemorraghe, fetal distress....back pain after from epi and extremely swollen vagina and hemoroids from the 'purple pushing'. stayed in hospital 2 days(learned the hard way NOT to have a medicalized birth)

#2 went into labor on my own at 39 weeks. 5 hour labor. spent 4 of those at home and 1 in the hospital. NO interventions. not even an IV. labored on my birth ball at home and in the shower at the hospital. EASY recovery, not even swelling. left the hospital the same day he was born

depending on your choices and your provider, you will have different experiences

MommyKelleyX3
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Congrats!  Its WAY different for every single one of us, so theres not really anything we can explain.  Just relax :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)