Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

abscessed tooth while pregnant ... ?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 11:21 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have an abscess and Im wondering if any of you know how this could affect pregnancy, or my baby im 28 weeks and have had this for a while but didnt have time to get it fixed before I got pregnant it is just now starting to act up again causing migranes, and my face is a little bit swollen. It this dangerous to my baby ?

by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kmencl3210
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2011 at 11:22 PM

last wk my doc mentioned something about dental problems making you more likely to go into premature labor... i think she told me i was 7x's more likely to go into premature labor with dental problems 

blessed_mom774
by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 11:23 PM
I had 1 n my ob fussed saying it could get intp babies blood stream (not sure IF its true or not) but id suggest having it taken care of ASAP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C8Baxter
by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 11:24 PM
I just had two cavities filled and I'm 39 wks pregnant. You can get dental work done. Talk with your ob about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JADIEBUG
by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Very true. It is highly dangerous to a fetus. Infections in the mother can cause infections in the fetus. You need to get that fixed ASAP....You need a round of antibiotics and the tooth treated pronto.

Quoting blessed_mom774:

I had 1 n my ob fussed saying it could get intp babies blood stream (not sure IF its true or not) but id suggest having it taken care of ASAP

mommyof0210
by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 11:55 PM

i dont have a doc yet i just moved should i go to the hospital ? my face hurts and i have a bad headache amd my forehead is numb

blessed_mom774
by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Honestly, it MAY be a waste of money time n trip..cuz they will only tell u to follow up with a dentist n give u a 10 supply of tylenol...BUT it would also beneficial cuz u MAY be able to get an antibiotic

Quoting mommyof0210:

i dont have a doc yet i just moved should i go to the hospital ? my face hurts and i have a bad headache amd my forehead is numb

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaSmith678
by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 12:18 AM

You really need to just get an emergency appointment with a dentist... they will get you antibiotics to kill the infection. I had this same thing at 34 weeks and got on antibiotics right away! The infection can be very dangerous to the baby if left untreated. I will eventually need to have a root canal on the tooth but that part can wait, as long as the infection is taken care of that is the most important thing. Definately see a dentist ASAP, and dont bother going to the ER it will cost a ton and be a waste of time, just go to a dentist.

Lele316
by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 12:33 AM

If you dont have a doctor yet you can go to the er and they will give you antibiotics and a sript for them so at least you can start taking care of it while you are finding a doc  you should go asap remember whatever is going on with you can eventually go on with the baby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)